Fly Tying

This is the first fly I've tied in at least 6 months. I've posted this pattern before...except this time no subs. The materials are all the real thing.

The hook is a 3/0 Ronn Lucas, Sr. Noble S. I like the proportions of the hook for this fly, hence the choice of what to use.

And as I usually do when photographing a fly it is in the unpreened state. It has since been cleaned up and mounted. By taking the picture in this way it gives me a close look at what needs to be done to make the finished fly look the way I'd like.

As always...comments and thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,
George

DSC_0004 (27).JPG

Welcome back George. Looks to me like you haven't missed a day. Another beauty from you.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm getting back over the vise later today to tie ?????

It is also great to be back on the site!!

I would like to see a comparison of this and the cleaned up version so we can see what you are talking about.

Here is a quick shot. I didn't bother with the light box, just took a couple of hand held photos after taking the fly out of the box where it was mounted.

The wing has been curved down a bit, the wild hackle fibers are gone, the wing on the far side is almost back where it should be (I'll fix that) and a couple of stray fibers in the body veil went a little nuts as I handled the fly to get it in the vise. There was a bronze mallard fiber that was eliminated. A bit ham fisted this morning I guess. I will continue to fuss over this as I always do.

1588256254_DSC_0007(9).thumb.JPG.bb36232c1419e1262d82e1cc34d20cd9.JPG 

One final look at the fly back in the box where it will stay. That one fiber of crow just won't cooperate :P Oh well....

1422015998_DSC_0006(13).thumb.JPG.6a9ec0ed76cd00ceedb632af19c5b438.JPG

Worthy for a box alright. I see the difference in the palmere'd hackle between the pics but that's about it. Heck if you wouldn't have mentioned the 1 red crow fiber i would not have seen it.

One day ill give a shot a classic fly, my skills are not there yet, maybe in another 10 years haha

Again, great job George

upnorthier - If you can tie a wet fly, you can tie these things. Just more material and planning.

Thanks for the kind words and remember...we are all our own harshest critic!!