Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

More flies for the grayling boxes

Now that I have plenty of Royal coachmen and Mydas flies,

DSCF6033.JPG

MF (1).JPG

DSCF6046.JPG

These are all in 12,14, and 16 sizes.

Now I've begun tying another important grayling pattern, the Adams dry fly. I'll tie them in sizes 14 and 16.

DSCF6044.JPG

For them, I'm using musk rat dubbing because it's classic, I have a bunch and there's a certain allure for me to use naturals.

DSCF6048.JPG

I'm also using Cree hackle for the tail fibers and the hackle. I have two Cree skins, one I got for pennies on the dollar in an estate sale and one I got from one of our great members here at a very reasonable price. If I never use my Crees, I will never use them. For me, It's a little faster for each fly to use the one feather instead of the two if using brown and grizzly. Spread out over a couple of dozen flies, that's some time. Also, especially on the size 16 flies, it's easier for me to get it right (or close enough to right) with one feather. and, I really like Cree.

After the Adams are done, I'll round the dry flies off with Blue Sparkle Dun flies, and then the nymphs.

PS, all comments are welcomed.

The box is looking good. I like an adams for fishing trout and panfish alike. It’s as versatile as a PT nymph, hares ear and my hammer.  I couldn’t be bothered with the two feathers either so I started using a regular old grizzly hackle and hitting it with a brown sharpie here and there. Works for me.

Nice Mark.Do not use any of those type of dries so only have tied a few over the years  but i love the way they look.Defines a "fly" to me..My brother retired right on Lake Michigan and wants to fly fish so starting to play with some classic Michigan patterns,He has his shoulder replaced .He has never fly fished .I was like time to learn you live in western Michigan.I am still slowly getting better but not able to do my trade anymore so my life is in kind of in chaos.By spring he says he will be ready and should have things sorted out on where i go next.

From somebody that has never caught a Grayling my $.02.   My research kept coming up pink.  I’d suggest some Humpies with pink bodies.

00F5ED7B-7437-4E87-9938-DEDC70FE02C5.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thanks everybody. I'm going to Anchorage for more procedures on Mon. so I'll be off-line for a bit starting Monday.

I'm pulling for you my friend 

On 11/11/2022 at 3:45 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Royal coachmen and Mydus flies

That's a nice box of flies.

Back in the 90's when I took a road trip to Alaska, I think I ate fresh grayling everytime we stopped and camped next to a stream. All I remember using was adamses and zugbugs. 

22 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Thanks everybody. I'm going to Anchorage for more procedures on Mon. so I'll be off-line for a bit starting Monday.

Good luck Mark.Just had my neck scanned and looks good so far.For now i live life between doctor visits it seems.

22 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Follow doctor's orders Mark. Things will get better everyday...I can feel it!!!
Take care my friend.

Thanks everybody.

Denduke pink is a very good color for grayling, in fact the Salcha Pink is a very good fly developed especially for the grayling not very far from here at all. I may tie some of those too. I have had 100 fish days with the Adams and Royal Coachman so, if I fill the gap with the Mydas fly all others may just be for fun and fun is what it's all about.

On 11/12/2022 at 2:03 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Good looking box of flies Mark- Best wishes with your procedures today!

I just got back yesterday, Thanksgiving day. They have repaired my heart and I now have a lot of healing to do.

My thanks to everybody. Talk to you again soon.