Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

1 hour ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

I'm intending to join in once I'm back home from being on the road the middle of next week 👍

Cool. Looking forward to your rendition of whatever it is you pick

This is one of the two stonefly patterns I tie. both are tied light colored yellow or light brown I carry a black and dark brown sharpie with me in my bag if I need to change the color on the top side. this pattern I started tying after helping TU & DEP restore stoneflies to a stream when released out of the bucket they tumbled and rolled into the current every time.

Hook- Mustad 37160 Thread brown

Tail- two turkey biots supported on a small dubbing ball   Body- bugskin  wrapped over dubbed (for profile) body   Wing cases- bugskin burned to shape supported on dubbing

Legs / antenna- turkey biots     Eye's / head- small bead chain wrapped in bugskin tied in the rear as a collar.

tumblestone.jpg

20 minutes ago, cphubert said:

This is one of the two stonefly patterns I tie. both are tied light colored yellow or light brown I carry a black and dark brown sharpie with me in my bag if I need to change the color on the top side. this pattern I started tying after helping TU & DEP restore stoneflies to a stream when released out of the bucket they tumbled and rolled into the current every time.

Hook- Mustad 37160 Thread brown

Tail- two turkey biots supported on a small dubbing ball   Body- bugskin  wrapped over dubbed (for profile) body   Wing cases- bugskin burned to shape supported on dubbing

Legs / antenna- turkey biots     Eye's / head- small bead chain wrapped in bugskin tied in the rear as a collar.

tumblestone.jpg

Tres nice

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

This is one of the two stonefly patterns I tie

Looks like a live stonefly on the hook, very nice

Thanks everyone for the comments. I used to knot the legs with a hopper tool, but it drives me buggy, and I don't think the fish care one way or the other.

5 hours ago, cphubert said:

This is one of the two stonefly patterns I tie. both are tied light colored yellow or light brown I carry a black and dark brown sharpie with me in my bag if I need to change the color on the top side.

For some reason I can’t reply to a quoted post. So here is my reply that was suppose to be in my response up one.

This is a seriously unique Stonefly. Great tie.  What’s not to like about a sharpie.

41 minutes ago, cencalfly said:

I'm not game here.  Is this a challenge or is it a throw down something in your arsenal?  Great fly no doubt.  That thing is the Sh-t.  Hell, I'm not worthy. Why play.

If you can reply within minutes of a challenge did you tie the fly for this or are you throwing up a picture you have in your database?  Maybe not the best way to invite and welcome newbies or beginners.  Have fun gents.  This bystander is duly impressed.

I may be wrong but maybe we should look at the intent of the thread and then try to play along.

Excellent point. How about if we add this to the rules. When you accept a challenge you have to actually tie the fly for the challenge. No picking it out of your pre tied collection. I actually thought that would be an unwritten rule. Let's write it so that no one is intimidated or other wise put off from playing. What say you all

14 hours ago, cphubert said:

This is one of the two stonefly patterns I tie.

Nice pattern, I bet it does well.  I was recently reading, can't remember where but it might have been in one of Whitlock's books, that when dislodged from the bottom a stonefly will curl up when dead drifting, as you noted.  Also, the lighter colored stones have recently molted and their bodies are softer, which apparently the trout can recognize.  Not sure if I agree with that, though.  

Add the rule as I kind of thought of it as an unwritten as well, but I think some people are going to be intimidated and won’t play regardless of how many rules you make. Some people are unnecessarily intimidated by the quality of the fly tying as well as the quality of the photos. I’m not the best tier, not even close, but I believe my tying has improved  because I try a little harder when I intend on posting it.  I will add that of the challenges I’ve accepted all were tied at the bench post acceptance and I believe all others have been tied post acceptance accept one where it was clearly stated it was from stock. I don’t own a camera and take quick pictures with a cell phone and have no desire to create a fly studio.  I really believe that the quality of some of the pictures is probably more intimidating then the ties. While I appreciate the quality of some pictures I have no desire to mimic them and others should not as well. I completely don’t understand being intimidated over tying a fly or taking a picture of a fly.