Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

21 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Mustad 3906 (older version), happy to send a few your way if you pm me

Thank you Chug, a have a few of those I've picked up here and there.  Appreciate the offer.  

14 hours ago, cencalfly said:

May need to sub post material if I can't get it at the local shop.

I often think the best fly patterns are the ones that lend themselves to material substitutions.  Looking forward to seeing yours.  

Saw the Professor by dFlanagan a few posts back. I admit to not having been following this thread since it's inception since I was busy with Christmas Swap Santa duties but I looked up the specs on the Professor and it was originally a winged wet as mentioned in the history post.

The Professor was originally a winged wet fly, as most flies were before the 20th century. It quickly earned the respect of anglers and became widely popular in America’s fly boxes as well as angling literature. It was soon featured in the first American literary work on flies, Charles Orvis’s Fishing with the Fly in 1883, then in Mary Orvis Marbury’s Favorite Flies and Their Histories in 1892.

This is what I got out of the original descriptions I found.

DSC01707 (2).JPG

DSC01708 (2).JPG

the professor from mary orvis marbury book "favorite flies and their histories"

professor.jpg

plate t.png

No. 192. The Professor was named after the much-loved Professor John Wilson (Christopher North), and the story of the fly is, that one time, when this famous angler was fishing, he ran short of flies, and, to create something of a flylike appearance, he fastened the petals of buttercups on his hook, adding bits of leaves or grass to imitate the wings of a fly. This arrangement was so successful that it led to the making of the fly with a yellow silk body, since then so widely known as the Professor.

Professor « Don Bastian Wet Flies (wordpress.com)

Nice tie Cencal !

Love your background, as always.

1 hour ago, cencalfly said:

Next up Cains River Streamer (tyer’s choice of pattern).  Tyer can omit or sub jungle cock eye if necessary

Nice Choice. Over my head, but can’t wait to see it tied by one of the other  tyers.

9 hours ago, cencalfly said:

Next up Cains River Streamer (tyer’s choice of pattern)

Ill do the Cains river streamer challenge, never heard or never tied one of these flies. I already have wood duck out on the bench.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, vicrider said:

This is what I got out of the original descriptions I found.

I agree with Trouttramp, that is a nice tie. 

Do you have a reference to that recipe?  I've looked through all my books and searched online, but can find nothing like that.

10 hours ago, cencalfly said:

Brook’s Sprout – Trico

Nice work

1 hour ago, upnorthtier said:

Ill do the Cains river streamer

Looking forward to seeing it