Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

$.02.  Chennile may be  the toughest to weave.   Yarn, cord, floss, stretch tubing, etc and even wire is easier to control cuz once you bend it it stays!   

Here is a real stonefly nymph. It has a dark colored dorsal (posterior) surface and and a lighter ventral (anterior) surface. When a real nymph tumbles along the river bottom the trout see the alternating dark/light contrast.

37895622822_d7422208b8_z.jpg

37216960014_32b886502a_z.jpg

The Dronestone woven stonefly nymph imitates this dark/light contrast. The contrasting dark over light abdomen is a very realistic representation of the tumbling and drifting natural.

[35684733646_745274ce51_z.jpg

35684733706_961321525e_z.jpg

35555717882_4068885d67_z.jpg

I have modified the tying instructions below from Aaron Jasper's original Drone Stone in the Autumn 2010 Fly Tyer magazine.

Unless you know how to weave, I suggest you first learn to weave simpler flies like a caddis larva in the YouTube video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXp3OZ8Hc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7059YkpEwuc

Light Cahill

Hook- Mustad 94840        Thread- cream

Wing- Wood duck flank        Tail- cream hackle barbels   Body- Cream fox belly fur   Hackle- cream 

lightcahill.jpg

2 minutes ago, cencalfly said:

We're tying it the same

The only variation I remember is Art Flick's and I think he used a more ginger/cream tail and hackle. 

I'd like to give the Thunder Creek a go!  Good excuse to buy some UV resin and another color of buck tail.

1 hour ago, cencalfly said:

Silver: What species of stone is the one you pictured from Troutnut's site?  Looks to be down the Golden Stone side of life.   

The fly I was after was Pteronarcys Californica (big black stonefly/salmonfly). I was looking to evolve off of the Bitch Creek with an impressionistic fly.  That fly has been very effective for me.  I provided a link to Troutnut's site in my submission for reference:  http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/1151.

One thing I don't like about my submission is the black thin skin over the abdomen.  To lifeless for me.  Trout may not care but I got to like it to have confidence in it.  I'm going to tie another with mottled turkey instead of the thin skin. The hackle selection I'll keep.  It was meant to not only give the impression of legs but also add lifelike movement and add to the overall mottling.  Like a soft hackle.   The chenille adds to the bugginess so I'm going to stick with it also.  Been used for eons.  I think that's all I would do to the fly.  It would be nice if I can get the ten segments for the abdomen.  However, I don't think trout take the time to count body segments as the bug is bouncing down stream. :) 

The fly was woven in the same manner as shown in the video links you provided.  Except I didn't use bobbins.  That looks slick.

I believe it is a golden stone nymph. It is from an image I got many years ago.

That stonefly nymph is intended to be the bottom fly in a Eurorig. It is heavily weighted with lead wraps.

14 hours ago, cencalfly said:

Trout may not care but I got to like it to have confidence in it.

I think most of us tyers are the same way, I know I am, even though sometimes it don't make no sense. 

So many different hues, colors, shades, small patterns on bugs within the same species which can differ even on different segments of the same river system.  The longer I tie and fish, the more firmly I'm in the "color is the least important" aspect of a fly.  After presentation, which is the most important part of fishing a fly, come size, profile, and then color.  Perhaps its my imagination, but I always seem to do better fishing flies with a mottled color scheme or pattern, whether that be on their legs, wings, or body.  The colors don't have to be correct, nor does the pattern those colors create, its the presence of some kind of mottled color scheme that is important.  If that makes any sense. IMO.  

It brings me back to Jim Leisenring’s quote "You must tie your fly and fish your fly so the trout can enjoy and appreciate it." 

Way off topic, I know. 

In any case, that stonefly is a beautiful tie that any trout in any body of water will enjoy and appreciate.  

Well, I swung by Cabelas after work- closest place for material and grabbed 2 buck tails, some Loon Flow UV resin and some white thread. 

I wasn’t familiar with this pattern, but actually had saved a photo from Instagram and archived it into the “maybe someday” file. Well, challenge it is. I read some online about how Mr. Fulsher tied them and would use yellow eye with black dot. I thought I had some yellow airbrush paint, but I guessed wrong. 

anyway- here is my attempt(s). 
Hook- Spirit River BB089 #10

Thread- UTC 210 White

Yellow/White/green Bucktail

Next Fly: Slumpbuster

0F3F82C9-9E02-4A75-8EE2-FAAB7A94FF77.jpeg