Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

6 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

But I figured for the challenge thread I would copy the original.

I was not aware the original had the tail, thanks for that info.  

After seeing the Mohawk fly on this thread I decided to tie one up in olive/white and take it out on my local WW creek this evening. I got to say that it is my new favorite pattern for my local creek. It has for now supplanted my old favorite of many years, a white wulff variant. I caught 2 SMB, a handful of Rockies and to many to count gills. Best part is the fly is very durable and is still very fishable. I shall tie more in different colors to include a solid white one just to see what happens. Thank you to whoever suggested this pattern. 

Are you talking about the one that looks like a piece of bread?  There was a Mohawk Caddis and Stone also.   Whatever works😏

DFFB3CD0-DA74-42C4-9089-B623EC161601.jpeg

0DDE958D-DBC9-49F2-80BC-0781C19E7C65.jpeg

Yep the white one, that’s the one i’m trying next along with some other colors. I slope it front to rear though. 

I'll take the Merkin Crab need to get back to the bench I've been renovating my nephews house for the last few weeks.

Del Brown's Merkin Crab variant (I added the mono eyes and only use 3 legs vs 4) it is still considered a good permit fly also good for striped bass.

A merkin was a personal wig of sorts for woman in medieval times to provide cover for chastity belt rubbing. Mr. Brown's wife Doris learned the meaning and the name was shortened to Del Brown's Crab Fly by Lefy Kreh for publishing. Also known as Del Brown's Permit Fly.

Hook-- Mustad 34007 with dumbbell eyes, thread-olive monocord, tail(head) two splayed ginger hackle tips/ sparse Krystal flash/ mono eyes, body- tan macrame cord brushed and tied flat trimmed to crab body shape/ round rubber legs tied between cord with a square knot red tips with sharpie.

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

Del Brown's Merkin Crab variant (I added the mono eyes and only use 3 legs vs 4) it is still considered a good permit fly also good for striped bass.

A merkin was a personal wig of sorts for woman in medieval times to provide cover for chastity belt rubbing. Mr. Brown's wife Doris learned the meaning and the name was shortened to Del Brown's Crab Fly by Lefy Kreh for publishing. Also known as Del Brown's Permit Fly.

Hook-- Mustad 34007 with dumbbell eyes, thread-olive monocord, tail(head) two splayed ginger hackle tips/ sparse Krystal flash/ mono eyes, body- tan macrame cord brushed and tied flat trimmed to crab body shape/ round rubber legs tied between cord with a square knot red tips with sharpie.

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

Beautiful!

22 hours ago, cphubert said:

Next Up a Glass Minnow

I'll take that.  

22 hours ago, cphubert said:

Del Brown's Merkin Crab variant

Nice, CP.  

Bend-Back Glass Minnow

Bendback-Glass-Minnow.jpg

Hook: 34007, #2, bent slightly just behind the eye

Thread: Red, UTC 140

Body: tin foil under-body, #15 mono over-body

Wings: Bucktail: black or olive over white a few strands of the appropriate color flash. 

Based on the glass minnow tied by Carl Hansen, somewhat of a legend in the St Pete FL area.  Some claim he was the originator of the glass minnow pattern, though now a days the term 'glass minnow' has come to refer to any small, lightly dressed baitfish pattern.  (At least from the little I have read.) 

Cap't Lemay  probably has better info.