Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

14 hours ago, cphubert said:

a flatwing of your choice.

I'm game - you probably meant a more traditional flatwing streamer, but I've had this pattern kicking around in my head.  I will use it on freshwater or salt when I have the chance again. 

A weekday evening is probably not the best time to attempt a new pattern like this, due to time restraints, but not too bad for a first attempt, IMO.  

Flat Wing Gurgler

IMG20221205203247.jpg

IMG20221205203312.jpg

Hook: #4, 3xl

Thread: pale olive mono-cord.

Tail: olive bucktail, flashabou, 2 grizzly olive saddle hackles

Rear skirt: olive marabou

Body: black over yellow craft foam

Body Hackle: grizzly olive.  

I think next time I will leave the more traditional Gurgler head, and move the fly further back on the hook.  

6 minutes ago, niveker said:

Flat Wing Gurgler

Well done, I'm no flat wing expert, i never even tied one but I'm sure the pikes up here would go after that fly.

9 hours ago, cencalfly said:

I'm not worthy. Why play

Everybody is worthy to play along, its just for fun. Your Whitlock nymph is a beauty

No such thing as perfection, sometimes its dam close like that stonefly. In no way it intimidates me, oh contraire it shows me what can be done. So much more to learn.

At the end of the day, as long as the thread keeps going, that's good enough for me. I'm really enjoying it

Just now, niveker said:

At the end of the day, as long as the thread keeps going, that's good enough for me. I'm really enjoying it

I think its time to change the title from how about a challenge thread? to THE CHALLENGE THREAD

Recommended changes have been made. As has been said, all are welcome. Don't be shy take a challenge. This is a perfect opportunity to extend your comfort level and tying skills. Most of all we're here to have fun tying so have at it. Please. 

Cencalfly- I assure you I tied it not from some picture database and it was a four hours later. As for you are not worthy- the flatwing is a very easy tie. I hope you would consider joining you could have tied a Montana, Prince Nymph, or Pats Rubber Legs and they would have all been a stonefly. I truly welcome new tiers and I apologize if you think anyone is trying to shut out a new tier.

10 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

No such thing as perfection

I strongly agree, I didn't tie a perfect fly as we are our own worse critics there is always something I look at and say I wish I had done that better or different. Thats what makes us better tiers or innovators of some else's pattern I always try to give credit to originators or at least my inspiration for a pattern

8 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I strongly agree, I didn't tie a perfect fly as we are our own worse critics there is always something I look at and say I wish I had done that better or different. Thats what makes us better tiers or innovators of some else's pattern I always try to give credit to originators or at least my inspiration for a pattern

Ditto

10 minutes ago, Northcaddis said:

Can I do march brown ? 

Perfect timing Northcaddis!! Heck yeah you can do the March brown.