Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

38 minutes ago, upnorthtier said:

I've never tied a professor,

A bit of history, from  Midcurrent.com 

https://midcurrent.com/flies/the-professor-fly-history/

Beginnings in Scotland

Two centuries ago Scottish angler John Wilson, a highly acclaimed Scottish professor, author, poet and outdoorsman, ran short of flies, and to create something of a fly like appearance, he fastened the petals of buttercups on his hook, adding bits of leaves or grass to imitate the wings of a fly. This arrangement was so successful that it led to the making of a fly with a yellow silk body, which has since then been widely known as The Professor. (Mary Orvis Marbury 1892)

John Wilson (1753-1825) tied the first Professor and Blue Professor while his brother and zoologist James Wilson originated the Grizzly King and Queen of the Waters. Quite an accomplished family. The Professor, Blue Professor and Grizzly King all have similar dressings except for color of the silk floss body.

The Professor was originally a winged wet fly, as most flies were before the 20th century. It quickly earned the respect of anglers and became widely popular in America’s fly boxes as well as angling literature. It was soon featured in the first American literary work on flies, Charles Orvis’s Fishing with the Fly in 1883, then in Mary Orvis Marbury’s Favorite Flies and Their Histories in 1892.

I do well with its brother, the Grizzly King.  

17 hours ago, dflanagan said:

The Professor

nice fly

3 minutes ago, niveker said:

A bit of history,

thanks for the post I enjoy the history of a lot of patterns.

43 minutes ago, USMCflyt1r said:

Hello everyone,

Welcome Marine, glad to have you on board you'll have to wait for chugbug27 to finish and name the next pattern then you can join in. Welcome to the site and feel free to introduce yourself on the General Discussion Tab. 

4 hours ago, USMCflyt1r said:

I'm new to this site, but was wondering if it is too late to get in on the challenge?

Welcome to the site, Jim.  

My son just moved down to North VA, hoping to get down there in the Spring and maybe get in a little fishing and camping with him.  

Everyone is encouraged to join in on the challenge, new, old, good, bad. It doesn't matter.  Here are the general guidelines, then tend to get buried under all the posts:

1   Tier that accepts challenge  has up to 5 days to tie fly and post pic,  some leeway will be allowed on the number of days.

2  only the first tier that accepts the challenge will tie and post a picture of the fly

3  after posting pictures of the completed fly, that poster then names a new challenge fly.

4  any version of the challenge fly is acceptable 

5  have fun, this is not a competition, just a way to see some different versions of flys

6 Flies should be tied "fresh" for the challenge you accepted. Don't pull 'em out of the already tied box.

Hope to see some of your flies in the site.  

On 12/11/2022 at 3:35 PM, dflanagan said:

How about a Blae and Black next?

chug is in line to tie up this one

Blae and Black, from W. Earl Hodgson, "Trout Flies" (London, 1904).

958891259_BlaeandBlack.thumb.jpg.803bec41d1e0f73205c85e37696c7324.jpg

606783425_BlaeandBlackRecipe.thumb.jpg.6e5cc57dd85d09466d20b3094fd50906.jpg

384152482_LakeFlies.thumb.jpg.d5e6ce8ab118ad661da958984493273d.jpg

Next fly: Brooks Sprout.  Your choice of size and flavor.

45 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Blae and Black

Very nice fly chug two bars on the tippet tail showing, and the seal dubbed body is classic- knocked that one out of the park.

9 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Blae and Black

Super duper, nice hook.  So much buggier with a dubbed vs a thread body.  

8 hours ago, niveker said:

nice hook

Thanks , and it's a Mustad 3906 (older version), happy to send a few your way if you pm me

7 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

those wings are perfect

Thanks! It always surprises me even when they just  come out ok.