Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

I think the "new" rules really open this up to everyone. Thanks for thinking and posting Norm and thanks trouttramp for accepting the revisions

REVERSE SPIDER SOFT HACKLE

Okay, Ladies and boys, here it is.  

I'd never heard of this fly until Trouttramp posted the challenge.  Thankfully there was enough on the internet to learn a little bit about it.  What I found from my limited searching is that Mike Kinney is given credit for it's creation.  

From http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/080706fotw.php

Mike Kinney's Reversed Spider was originally tied for the Stillaguamish River's sea-run cutthroat but has proven to be highly effective, not only in other rivers for cutthroat and steelhead, but also in salt water for cutthroat, Coho and even Chinook salmon. It is a style of fly rather than an individual pattern and can be tied in a wide variety of colors and many different kinds of feathers may be used for the hackle. Its greatest attraction seems to lie in the extremely active and seductive movement of the reverse-tied hackle, I know of no other fly that can even begin to equal it. (underline added)

Originally tied using the black tipped white feather of a Lady Amherst pheasant for the tail and hackle, but as my underlining above points out, it is a style of fly rather than an individual pattern , so here is my version, trying to imitate a golden stonefly nymph: 

IMG20221118194554c.jpg

EDIT: re-tied to remove space behind hackle, increased amount of brown dubbing (much better, IMO), new photo added:

IMG20221119095247b.jpg

Mine was tied a bit differently from the link posted above; I used a dubbed body in place of the original chenille, added ribbing, and changed the type of hackle feather.

Hook: #8

Thread: Uni Camel, 72D

Hackle/Tail: (I believe this is a mallard breast feather, collected on a hike a year or two ago).  The feather is tied in concave side down with the stem pointing over the hook eye, secured with a few wraps of thread, the tip of the feather is cut off and saved to be used as the tail, the hackle is wound rearward from the eye (2 wraps here), secured, trimmed off, the rib is tied in, the thread is wound backward to above hook barb, and the feather tip is tied in as the tail.  

Rib: copper wired

Tail: tip of hackle, see above

Body: Golden stone rabbit dubbing and rusty brown rabbit dubbing, dubbed on thread alternately to produce a variegated effect.  

My own criticism is that there should be no space between the dubbed body and hackle to better support the hackle when fishing. 

As always, constructive critiques, questions, and corrections are welcome by me.  

The foreword slanted hackle on this fly reminded me of another relatively simple old fly that I tie, not too obscure but definitely not often seen in the fly shop bins, which is the next challenge, if you choose to accept:

The John Storey  Fly

Reminder about the guidelines:

1   Tier that accepts challenge  has up to 5 days to tie fly and post pic,  some leeway will be allowed on the number of days.

2  only the first tier that accepts the challenge will tie and post a picture of the fly

3  after posting pictures of the completed fly, that poster then names a new challenge fly.

4  any version of the challenge fly is acceptable 

5  have fun, this is not a competition, just a way to see some different versions of flys

Tie YOUR version of the named fly..feel free to list recipe or background.

That tier then names the next fly to be tied by the next tier that accepts the challenge.

John-Storey-1080.jpg

John Storey (Dry)

John Storey

Hook - Mustad 94840 or equivalent
Thread - Claret*
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Medium dark red cock**
Wing - Tip of a speckled feather from mallard breast***

*I used brown thread

**(English term for brown)

***I used teal

Trout and Salmon Flies of Wales - Moc Morgan - Page 89

John-Storey-Wet-1080.jpg

John Storey (Wet)

John Storey

Hook - Mustad 3399 or equivalent
Thread - Claret*
Body - Peacock herl
Hackle - Medium dark red cock**
Wing - Mallard breast feather***

*I used brown thread

**(English term for brown)

***I used teal

Trout and Salmon Flies of Wales - Moc Morgan - Page 103

the next fly to be tied in this challenge will be

Grizzly Hackle Yellow

the above fly may be tied as a dry, wet, streamer or even a salmon fly. you pick the version you want to tie

rules applied as stated in the original posting.

hopefully ive given new tyers a chance at this challenge

53 minutes ago, flytire said:

Grizzly Hackle Yellow

great choice, the possible patterns could fill a few fly boxes.  

2 hours ago, flytire said:

the next fly to be tied in this challenge will be

Grizzly Hackle Yellow

hopefully ive given new tyers a chance at this challenge

If no one takes it by tomorrow evening....

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I’ll take it if you don’t mind Sandan. 

All yours. Enjoy

Thank you Sandan! I tried a couple different things. It’s the best I got. Next up how about one for the WW amongst us and let’s do a Charlie Boy hopper, with or without eyes, depending on if you want it to see where it’s going. 

Grizzly Hackle Yellow
Hook - 12

Thread - burnt orange or yellow UTC70

Tail - red bucktail or orange hackle fibers 

Rib - silver tinsel 

Body - yellow EP fiber or yellow floss from the wife ( the fly with the yellow head is the floss body. 

Post - Yellow EP fiber

Hackle - Grizzly 

3330DC27-C1A6-4C1B-A144-EEB5741DE8B0.jpeg

11C44702-8F03-4D15-899C-1D11420252E7.jpeg

8BE6CF7E-E80D-462C-B239-DA50C6BB85D0.jpeg

22 hours ago, flytire said:

John Storey (Dry)

Not a criticism, just a comment. 

I only tie the dry version with the forward slanted wing, and fish it either wet or dry.

it was in the book i referenced so i tied it both ways

its purely the tyers option on how to tie and fish it