Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

Nice flies all around, good to see the interest in this thread.  

13 hours ago, cphubert said:

Bomber

That looks good.  I really should try to tie some of these up, I have so much deer hair, but they look time consuming.  

Can you tell me, is the only difference between the Bomber and the Carter bug the tail material and the wing?  I have no idea which is the older pattern, but I can see myself sitting down to tie a Bomber and (being the lazy tier that I sometimes am) just using deer hair for the tail and leaving off the wing.   

I like all those S&M bobbin holders you got there, I have a few and really like them.  Do you just change the stem/tube when switching threads?  I'm not quite getting the purpose of the no stems.

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Can you tell me, is the only difference between the Bomber and the Carter bug

Pretty much the same fly, some of the differences i notice is how pack the deer hair is, the bomber is much more packed, tighter and trimmed more like cigar shape with a tapper on both ends where the carter bug is trimmed on a tapper from the rear. The carter bug the hackle bends towards the rear where a bomber bends towards the eye. Don't forget there's also buck bugs, same as bombers but tied on a smaller hook, usually size 10 to 18.

I also would like to know if there's any other differences

11 minutes ago, niveker said:

Thanks UNT, Buck Bugs sound interesting.

Buck bugs are killer for rainbows here in the north, this one in particular. tied on 3761 size 12 or 14

958302460_DSC_0005(3).thumb.JPG.8abb8c20e2539968b88afce580812e01.JPG

Nice.

I don't know why but I think I actually have some green deer here also. That'll be the first one I try tying. 

2 hours ago, niveker said:

difference between the Bomber and the Carter bug

Norm's post is a very good instruction not packed as tight or as pretty as a bomber, I learned from Bryant Freeman (passed last year) of Eskape Anglers NB. fast tie and a very effective pattern, just remember to trim the bottom flat. The Rivers Course blog has a picture of a proper carters bug The River's Course (theriverscourse.blogspot.com) they look like a very poorly tied fly but fishes well.

i'll take the martinez black nymph

Black Martinez 1080.JPG

Martinez Black Nymph

Hook - Mustad 3906B
Thread - Black
Tail - Guinea hen fibers
Ribbing - Copper wire
Body - Black dubbing (original was black seal fur)
Wing case – Green swiss straw or equivalent
Thorax - Black chenille
Hackle - Hungarian partridge

Popular Fly Patterns - Terry Hellekson

The Martinez Black Nymph was designed by Don Martinez back in the 1940s. It was without a doubt the dominate nymph of the era. Mr. Martinez ran a fly shop in the West Yellowstone area.

bonus. heres a video i did tying the fly

https://youtu.be/OPyLRFh_wc4

6 hours ago, flytire said:

the next challenge fly will be a Stonefly

Hopefully someone new will join in, but if no one speaks up by tomorrow (Tuesday) morning,  I will take that challenge.  

I understand,

its been a pretty good thread so far, I think, but its always nice when someone new joins in.  

I'll post the guidelines here again: 

rules

1   Tier that accepts challenge  has up to 5 days to tie fly and post pic,  some leeway will be allowed on the number of days.

2  only the first tier that accepts the challenge will tie and post a picture of the fly

3  after posting pictures of the completed fly, that poster then names a new challenge fly.

4  any version of the challenge fly is acceptable 

5  have fun, this is not a competition, just a way to see some different versions of flys

Tie YOUR version of the named fly..feel free to list recipe or background.

Wait a minute, is it just me, i see a lot of interest in this thread, over 2500 views in 3 weeks. I'm sure with time there will be more members participating. Give it a chance

On another note it is a challenge thread, if its a pattern that i already have in my arsenal, ill pass on it and let someone else do it. I know there's lots of variations for some patterns or i could do my own take on it.

I didn't mean to imply anything with my comment. I've really enjoyed it thus far and I'm happy to see anyone posting a fly to this thread, the more merrier. 

I've never even looked at view count, thanks for pointing that out.