Fly Tying
George Carson

Snowrunner/Nayat

2 hours ago, flytire said:

Here's all that article says about what animal it actually is....

"From what I know it's a specific goat or sheep breed. Unfortunately I don't know anything more about it's origins. "

I sure don’t know what snowrunner/nayat is but I’m pretty sure you could substitute deer hair, craft fur, and any number of other fur for it. 

That's the thing, I emailed the two main stockists & they ignore my direct question what is Nayat or Snow Runner.  It is  as though I should be honored and privileged to buy Ulysses Golden fleece from them, don't ask what it is because we won't  tell...

After watching a few impressive tyers on YouTube earlier this year using Nayat I bought a few packs. I only did a handful of saltwater (deceiver) baitfish to imitate 3”-4” peanut bunker.  The material lends itself to blending with flash, creating dubbing loops or incorporating with bucktail or synthetic fibers to get the look and bulk you want.  The long stuff needs to be brushed out with a pet brush or fine comb..  There is quite a bit of underfur which is not a problem.  The black hank I received really does not want to be tamed but I suspect the dying process made it unruly.  I think the best use for Nayat is with pike fly patterns where 8” lengths of hair and long saddles are called for.  This is between arctic fox and polar bear but doesn’t have the translucency of PB.  I can’t think of any trout flies that would benefit by subbing another material with nayat but I’m no innovator.  Maybe I don’t want t know what it is.  I don’t want to know what is in that hot dog but sometimes they taste great.

I prefer tying with bucktail but expect to still fish some Nayat or hybrid streamers next season.  I lost this fly to a bluefish on the second cast.

EA4D9B28-D179-4565-BA59-BF65C2E661F4.jpeg