Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Trouttramp

Help on display case

I am looking for a display case to put some of my flys in ( my better tied ones ) . 
My family wants a collection of flys that I have tied, for you know, a remembrance for when I’m not around anymore.
A glass case with a door that opens easily, with a foam of some sort to attach the flys to. I have not seen such a case for sale, only shadow box types. I don’t want to have to take the case apart to add flys as I tie them. Probably hold a few dozen or better. 

Do any of you have such a case?
How do you display a fly collection?

TT

google "fly tying shadow box" for more ideas than you can think of

google "domed display case" for other ideas

Any display case can be used it usually comes to the mounting.

Gary from the rivers course does it professionally for studio and museum quality look at his blog for ideas. not so easy to just open a door and add a fly.

The River's Course (theriverscourse.blogspot.com)

flytire's domed case suggestion is the easiest to arrange I have seen a few done very nicely mounting flies to a branch in the case. you could always get a nice wood fly box and keep it opened in a domed or boxed display. use your imagination on how you want to be remembered

I’ve done a few.  Lately they have some hinged cases with backing at HobbyLobby.  They have many sizes.  Every other week they’re half price on shadow boxes.  Got this one for $13. I put a cardboard behind to make the backing press harder on the flies so they wouldn’t move.👍

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Home-Decor-Frames/Frames-Photo-Albums/Shadow-Boxes-Display-Cases/Shallow-Front-Load-Display-Case/p/38600?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfybBhBKEiwAgtB7fopF_XsNnKx8O4eOYY--LDu7O5Vu11aObjhCU_F6ftZ5AFEMhlrF7BoC43kQAvD_BwE

You can do resin casts too.  Given most away.  Got this one from Hardware store guy when he stopped stocking a brand of knives.  Heavey duty.  The ones like this you gotta come up with mounting scheme   I glued lil corks or foam cylinders to insert the hooks on these.

1F5542F9-DDA4-4427-98A8-B84155E6BC09.jpeg

0554D42B-6458-457C-9B53-6C51E5912A6A.jpeg

B72FDCCA-45F0-467F-A6BC-46490EC870CB.jpeg

9732BAF6-7ED0-44BF-A029-514FC0C51D1E.jpeg

4 hours ago, denduke said:

I’ve done a few.  Lately they have some hinged cases with backing at HobbyLobby.  They have many sizes.  Every other week they’re half price on shadow boxes.  Got this one for $13. I put a cardboard behind to make the backing press harder on the flies so they wouldn’t move.👍

FE7445BD-3A84-4BFA-A0E2-0CF0811FE3BB.jpeg

Yes, that’s what I’m looking for. 
Great display ! 
Thanks. 

my flys won’t be anything close to yours   

I’ll try Hobby Lobby