Fly Tying
vicrider

Rocky and Bullwinkle... Note - Now at 13 and done

Now if someone does a dry fly swap I’m getting pretty good at parachute Adam’s and am in middle of tying 100 for tie a thon

Now if someone does a dry fly swap I’m getting pretty good at parachute Adam’s and am in middle of tying 100 for tie a thon

Man JV, you're a glutton for punishment. I'm with the guys who choose to limit swaps at 12. I just can't keep tying the same fly over and over again. Short attention span deficit I guess. I just sent off the flies for a swap on Facebook you're probably in that had 17 flies and I had to break off and tie a few other things in the process of getting them done. As long as you're on a roll tie an extra dozen or so Adam's and set them aside and when the next swap comes up you can beat Woodenlegs to the finish.  What size are you tying for the tie-a-thon?

4 hours ago, jvmills said:

Hope to get in on that dry fly swap!  Nothing beats a good bluegill bite on some top water bugs

A Squirrely bunch of nice flies should hit the PO Monday. Surprised what a nice mixture is in there. Streamers of course but lots of other  bugs.

Nick

Okay, flies are all sorted and sealed but didn't get to PO today. I've joked before on one of the really great swaps, which this one is, someone stole all the flies so I'm not sending any out. Well, last night in Cheyenne I almost becamse a case of the flies flying away. While wife and I were in tornado shelter in backyard there was a touchdown taking out a house, several roofs, and killing one south of town and another one taking most of the roof and a couple of sheds in the AG Building, which is one block west of us and two blocks north. That's close. This is only the second time in the 11 years I've been here we've hit the shelter and the first time we had actual touchdowns in town. I've always said the storms come from south TX and go east of us and this is the usual rule. This time they came out of the TX panhandle and swept right through us.

The storms that came through last night carried winds measured in some area over 100mph. These can do major damage without a tornado. Our winds probably hit the 50mph area but that's something we used to. The storms themselves were traveling at speeds several weather talking mouths said they had never seen before. If you drove the freeway from Cheyenne to OK City on I 40 at 70 mph the storm would have caught you. The band was not real wide and fortunately it moved laterally and did not form a track path over any area or it would have ripped some town completely apart. It did give us an early warning for the coming severe weather season we need to pack our bugout bag, stock some water and batteries in the shelter, and do some work for me to get in shelter safely now with the bad leg. I need to do railing on steps, hand grabs on top to get onto steps, and some more chairs in shelter.

Oh yeah, flies will out tomorrow for sure and there was enough extras to get a box going for the military verson of Casting for Recovery.

Tornado1.jpg

Here's the flies. Tried to get them toe tags but gave up. Yours should still have them when they come in.

DSCF7492.JPG

Thanks @vicrider - glad to hear you and the Mrs. are safe.  A shame about your neighbors, hope they are able to get through it

I have never experienced a tornado, we did have a micro-burst come through about 25 years ago, winds were estimated at 80-100mph for maybe 30 seconds.  Scary is an understatement.  

Looking forward to the the flies.  

What have I heard before -"Life can get in the way of swaps!" - YIKES!!  Glad you and your loved ones are OK.  Flies look great and I look forward to seeing them.  Thanks for hosting another great swap!

Kim

Another great set of flies in my mailbox yesterday, thanks to all and vicrider for hosting.