Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
uffepuffe

Settle a bet!

Alright! I need all of your help in settling a bet between me and a friend: What is the difference between Wolly Bugger and Dog Nobbler?

Looking through my flytying books it wasn't all clear, but I trust someone here can help me win the bet! I won't tell you what I say is the difference until I have gotten som answers here biggrin.gif

uffepuffe,

I will offer an opinion, and it is worth just what you have paid for it!! wink.gif

I will first assert the fact that I do not live in the U.K., and only have a passing knowledge of British flies, of which the Dog Nobbler is one, I believe.

According to John Buckland, in his book The Simon and Shuster Guide to Trout and Salmon Flies, Fireside Books, 1986, the term "Dog Nobbler" is a patented name for a "Lead-headed Mayfly Lure".

I "googled" the term "dog nobbler" and came across several images. Generally, the nobblers appear to be tied on shorter shank hooks. If they have a hackle, it seems to be as a collar and not palmered. Most seem to have weighted eyes (lead barbell, stick-on, bead chain) of some sort.

Wooly buggers tend to be tied on longer shanked hooks, have a palmered hackle and if there is a weight at the head, it is usually a cone or a bead.

What does the winner of the bet receive, by the way?

Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

A Dog Nobbler is tied with a heavy split shot at the head which may or may not be painted. The body consists of chenille, the tail is marabou and a hackle is wound collarstyle. It swims like a jig.

Whoolly Buggers are tied with a body of chenille, a palmered hackle and a tail of marabou. Weight may be tied in under the body. It swims like a streamer.

Sjo

Thank you all for the information!

I've claimed that the difference between the two are:

- The Wooly Bugger has a body of dubbed wool while the dog nobbler has a body of chenille.

- The Wooly Bugger has palmered hackle while the Dog has no hackle at all.

- The Dog Nobbler has "eyes" often Bead Chain while the bugger has no eyes.

My friend mainly claimes the opposite to this.

So based on your help I would say that I'm the winner! What do I win? Exept from beeing the winner which always is nice my friend will have to tie me 20 flies for ou summer trip smile.gif