Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dflanagan

Finish it or start over?

Must have fallen off. 

No need to attach it to a leader. There haven’t been any salmon around here since the 1870’s. 

Yeah, I have crap hooks I use for practice.  Sucks when I get the tie right on the first shot.

More to the point, though, I think it looks good, I wish I was knowledgeable enough to offer positive criticism.  

9 hours ago, dflanagan said:

A second attempt at a Black Ranger. Still having trouble getting my toppings to hold their shape after prepping them. Still getting a bit flustered at the head and making too many wraps. Any other areas you all can point to that need extra attention?

I’m in the process of getting a light box set up so I can make pics a little better.

7E5928B4-3180-455E-A30F-806FB55D8860.jpeg

Okay...the photos are fine. A light box is a plus, but not always a necessity. Some time ago flytire (Norm) answered my question about his fine photos...he said he does everything hand held, no tripod, nothing. I gather that is still the case.

This looks much better than your initial attempt. Remember to line up the middle bar over the butt. This gives the fly a certain proper look. When winding the body hackle it should be right up against the back (bend) side of the tinsel, not between the wraps. The tail is a little long, it should be 1 1/2 times the gap of the hook. DO NOT obsess over making the tail and topping come together to for a point. I'll post a picture of a fly where that is not the case, and you will see the fly still looks fine. Final point, remember what I said about only using the number of wraps needed to hold material in place!! That will help with the head size. If you look at older (antique) flies the heads are rather large by todays standards simply because of the thread they had to use and the way they waxed everything thoroughly. I sort of like that look instead of what is all too often a head so small it is out of proportion with the size of the fly.

Below is the Durham Ranger where the topping and tail do not meet. The fly was preened later to do such things as bring the tinsel together. getting the hackle in the correct position, etc.

You obviously have the talent to tie these flies and tie them well Stick with it!!

George

DSC_0005 (2).jpg

9 hours ago, dflanagan said:

I’m in the process of getting a light box set up so I can make pics a little better.

7E5928B4-3180-455E-A30F-806FB55D8860.jpeg

light box isnt really required 

that photo is as good as some of mine and i dont use a light box

from my blog

Flytying: New and Old: Fly Photography (flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com)

Thanks, guys. This is the stuff I need to get my mind to slow down and check each step.

Re: the light box: It’s mostly for my own satisfaction. I used to use one when doing macro photos of bugs and I liked the control it gave me over the lighting. Fiddling around with my desk lamps is driving me nuts. But I think it’ll also help me see things better on the flies. The hackle on this one is a perfect example. I know it was butted right up against the rib when I wrapped it but I must have knocked it out of position when futzing with the wing. I’m due for an eye exam but with more even lighting I may have noticed it before posting. 

Salarman thank you for posting your comments, and Flanagan thank you for being the guinea pig and posting for critique. Really enjoying these!

4 hours ago, flytire said:

Good to know Norm. I always use a tripod myself. Sometimes with a lightbox, and sometimes without.

Also...I do like that blog of yours.

George