Fly Tying
fishes4em

strike indicators

I've been a fishing addict for 25 years. This is my first season trout fishing, fly tying and fly fishing. All in all I have done well, Probably beginners luck . I only use the ones I know how to tie : adams,henrickson and blue wing drys (all Parachutes), and hares ear, blue wing olive, pheasant tail and prince nymphs and scuds. After all this My question is, most of the veteran fly guys suggest I use a strike indicator as a rookie, and yet none of them do. What is the disadvantage to the indicators and when do you switch away from them ? P.S I don't use the indicators with the dry fly's (I'm not that green)

I've been fly fishing for 15 years now and I always use a strike indicator. I dont believe there are any disadvantages to useing one. They are a great way to know exactley what your nymph is doing.

I've seen and heard guys say "aww I dont need a strike indicator anymore"...thats fine, let them fish the way they want, but I will guarantee you that they are missing some fish without ever even knowing it. If your fishing a nymph dead drift then there is no way to stay in constant contact with it through out the entire drift to know if a fish checked it out without a strike indicator, I dont care what anyone says.

you dont always have to use an actual "strike indicator" ethier, alot of times I will run a nymph tied on a tag line off a larger fly like a hopper or large dry stone or something like that. When the dry goes under, set the hook, plus you got the surface and subsurface covered that way.

SD

Me and my dad both use indicators. I think they are called "Fish Pimps" but I'd have to check. They're great though. They float high and they don't sink, even in whitewater type runs. They come in Orange,Chartruse,and White. I always use indicators and the only problem I've had is some aggresive trout actually hitting the "bobber" dry.gif .

I like to use a parachute dry fly as an indicator and tie in the nymph off the hook bend. Every once in a while the indicator will take a fish too.

i have been having alot of luck without the indicator lately. really I was short-lining/high sticking.

it really makes you concentrate on reading the line. if the line stops, twitches, hesitates, or anything, set the hook.

might be bottom, but alot of times it is fish.

with the indicator, i tend to leave more line on the water, and it causes me to get a bad drift. without the indicator, i try to lift as much line off as possible, and that really helps.

My advice is to find and use small indicators. or use a dry fly as the indicator.

the key is to get out on a stream and learn to read the water and find the fish.

once you find a good spot, change flies until you get a hit or two. dont forget to try real small stuff, like 18 or 20.

the more you concentrate on finding good water, the better your chances.

Joe

Is it just me or do you guys also sometimes have the fish attack the "bobber" on every cast so I switch to a dry fly as the indicator and never get another hit on it? Trout are really smart, or at least smarter than me (not saying much).

Strike Indicator = Bobber Sorry. dunno.gif

How can something attached to a line be more responsive and sensitive than the line itself?

Unless you are adjusting your indicator for every stream depth variation, you are definately going to be LESS connected than without an indicator.

JMHO

~James

James hits a very important point.

A strike indicator will effectively limit the depth that you are fishing. So if you are moving from pool to pool you must change the distance of the indicator to the nymph.

You can use this to your advantage if you are so inclined...

I never use them myself. I use a sinking line 90% of the time.

QUOTE (jcstikfish @ Jun 3 2005, 10:01 AM)
How can something attached to a line be more responsive and sensitive than the line itself?

Unless you are adjusting your indicator for every stream depth variation, you are definately going to be LESS connected than without an indicator.

Because most times with a nymph and indi rig you are running a couple tiny split shot and the line from the nymph to the indicator is mostly slack free then, which shows every little bump through the indicator.

think about it this way, if you are just using the tip of the line to watch for strikes you can not effectively fish that manner at any distance. Watching the tip may work for a smaller stream when your drifint 10-12ft in front of you, but that method will lose you many takes on a river thats decent size.

As far as adjusting the depth of the indicator thats something that you should be doing any time you fish different water depth, so an idicator won't limit you depth unless your fishing Very deep holes that are around 7ft+....and then you should be using a sink tip/FS line anyways.

One of the best books that discusses this is Dave Hugh's book "Nymph Fishing" I'd suggest anyone that hasent read it pick up a copy, it's a very informative nymph fishing book.

SD

I don't care if it is a bobber, I'm gonna use em. Another great advantage to them is say you're fishing a hole that is 6ft deep you could adjust your indicator so your nymph will run thropugh that hole at 5-4-3-2-1ft and everything in between. Try doing that without an indicator

I use Loon Bio-Strike. As a courtesy to those who don't know what that is, it's a putty type floatant that you can mold to any size and shape. You simple choose the size you want, place it on the line, and form it into a round or football shape. Once it hits the water it solidifies. If you hand tie your own leaders you can squeeze it onto the knots to keep it from moving. On a knotless tapered leader it will hold fairly well, but you will have to check it periodically to mke sure it is still where you placed it. I like the fact that it's reuseable, and bio-degradeable.

I only use them in larger streams/ rivers when i have 30+ feet of line floating in front of me. I mostly fish "small" streams, and find that I can make nicer gentle mend as needed, better, with out the indicator. Understanding the currents and depths of the hole helps one to know where to place the nymph on the upstream cast to get the fly down to where the fish are lying. Trout in the mountains streams spook easy and the "SPLAT" of an indicator will often put 'em down. Same goes for spring cricks. My only exception to this would be a down stream drift when I know that the fish are podded up below me... then the indicator can really help.

A.A.

I am using a dry fly as a strike indicator more and more. I have used lots of different types of strike indicators and haven't been very happy with any of them. I can't get the slotted foam/rubber band type to stay on. (I lost 3 of those "fish pimps" recently in 20 minutes, and I know I'm putting them on right.) The putty-type leaves a residue on my leader, the stick-on type are hard to get off. I tie a dropper off the bend of the dry fly. This works pretty well and you'll catch fish on the dry too!

My dad has the same problem with them falling off. I have never had one fall though. I usually just twist it till I lose count of the twists.