Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

Polarized Fit-overs

I use to wear fit-over brand ones over my glasses for many years. Then about 5 yrs ago when I got new glasses I also got a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses when I got my regular eyeglasses and it was a great decision. They have frames that have wide arms on them which helps block side glare. I'd suggest looking into a pair next time you are due for new glasses. I got mine made for about $120 range if I remember correct.

A few thoughts about sunglasses, Cocoons, and goggles.... The goggles first... A few years back I made a point of finding surplus military goggles (very common for desert warfare...) kids buy them for paintball games..  I bought a pair just for navigating in the very bad rainstorms south Florida has during summer (and other times as well).  With them I can actually run at speed in a bad rainstorm (as long as I cover the rest of my face with a towel) and see where I'm going.... all while my anglers are hunkered down wondering why they spent good money for the weather that jumped us... Since my average backcountry trip is between 60 and 70 miles, at any  point we might be nearly 30 miles from the ramp... Mostly they're just another piece of gear - but in a storm -invaluable... 

I did have Cocoons on board for the occasional angler with glasses and no polaroid sunglasses - and although they work fairly well for their intended purpose I would never uses them day after day myself.  I found that over time they aged poorly and the last time a pair simply wasn't fit to use... I never replaced them.

That brings me to a few thoughts about sunglasses.... I'm lucky, not needing prescription sunglasses (yet...) and I long ago decided against high dollar sunglasses (I'm just too hard on them)... Instead I found pretty good quality inexpensive (compared to 100 or 200 sunglasses) but made by the same manufacturer (their cheaper line) - and have been very happy with them.  The well known outfit is Smith Optics (and they have really high quality - high dollar gear)... their cheaper line are called Sun Cloud... look 'em up... 

Lastly since our sunglasses are mostly in plastic frames or have plastic parts.. they're easy prey for sunscreen and most bug sprays....  If you do your best to keep those two skin treatments away from your glasses - you'll be happier and your glasses might actually last a while... .Bug spray in particular is problematic and even attacks vinyl covering on boat seats with frequent exposure - another of those "ask me how I know"  deals...

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

A few thoughts about sunglasses, Cocoons, and goggles.... The goggles first... A few years back I made a point of finding surplus military goggles (very common for desert warfare...) kids buy them for paintball games..  I bought a pair just for navigating in the very bad rainstorms south Florida has during summer (and other times as well).  With them I can actually run at speed in a bad rainstorm (as long as I cover the rest of my face with a towel) and see where I'm going.... all while my anglers are hunkered down wondering why they spent good money for the weather that jumped us... Since my average backcountry trip is between 60 and 70 miles, at any  point we might be nearly 30 miles from the ramp... Mostly they're just another piece of gear - but in a storm -invaluable... 

I did have Cocoons on board for the occasional angler with glasses and no polaroid sunglasses - and although they work fairly well for their intended purpose I would never uses them day after day myself.  I found that over time they aged poorly and the last time a pair simply wasn't fit to use... I never replaced them.

That brings me to a few thoughts about sunglasses.... I'm lucky, not needing prescription sunglasses (yet...) and I long ago decided against high dollar sunglasses (I'm just too hard on them)... Instead I found pretty good quality inexpensive (compared to 100 or 200 sunglasses) but made by the same manufacturer (their cheaper line) - and have been very happy with them.  The well known outfit is Smith Optics (and they have really high quality - high dollar gear)... their cheaper line are called Sun Cloud... look 'em up... 

Lastly since our sunglasses are mostly in plastic frames or have plastic parts.. they're easy prey for sunscreen and most bug sprays....  If you do your best to keep those two skin treatments away from your glasses - you'll be happier and your glasses might actually last a while... .Bug spray in particular is problematic and even attacks vinyl covering on boat seats with frequent exposure - another of those "ask me how I know"  deals...

Thanks for the info Bud.

On 1/17/2023 at 11:40 PM, Swamp Fly said:

So I have about given up on being able to wear contact lenses again.  I'm unwilling to buy new custom <insert brand here> quality fishing sunglasses at $300+ every year or so. I purchased some Cocoons branded fit-overs a 3-4 years ago.  The wheels are about to fall off of them at this point, the last inch of both arms are bare wire now. At $50 they don't own me any money.  They are/were okay, not spectacular but certainly not hot garbage either.  I'd like something a little better but a very quick cursory search is not showing me much other than throw away junk from the usual sources.  I'll buy Cocoons again but I'm open to suggestions.  FYI I really don't like clip-ons etc. I'm looking for something that covers and blocks light coming in from the sides etc.

From sunny but very bright Florida....

Swamp

I just purchase the clip-ons at Wal-mart, Foster Grant, solar sheilds,  spring polarized clip-ons. You can match the fit for your glasses. The spring holds them on tight. And they are around $15.00 - $20.00. my biggest problem is I set them down and forget them. But they usually serve me well!