Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WindKnotFlies

Carp advice

I'm at my wits end. There are a ton of carp in the river not 5 minutes from my barracks and I can't seem to catch one of them. wallbash.gif I've tried buggers, terrestrials....heck I even tied up something that looks like those little bait balls the local meat slinging heathens use. Can anyone give me some advice? I'd love to play a huge carp on my new 6 wt. Thanks!

Are the carp actively feeding? Grubbing the bottom and such?

I've found that carp that are already actively feeding are much more prone to hit a fly than those that are just cruising around. In fact, I can't remember the last time I hooked a carp that wasn't already in a feeding mode.

Your mileage may vary. cool.gif

If they're tailing or actively feeding on the bottom try a small Clouser tied in a color to match the bottom.

I'll probably offend a few purists, but in addition to trying some of the flies suggested, you can dramatically increase takes and hook-ups if you add some scent to the fly.

There are various products out there - likely the more offensive, the better. tongue.gif

Well if we're taking that alley....

Feed them some bread in small pieces, when they begin to feed try to place a big white floating fly between the bread. Watch out for ducks or you will be drilling one out of the sky.

Sjo headbang.gif

Funny thought SJO, you made me laugh.

That could e very interesting in duck season.user posted image

By the way here is my desk

I have fished for carp before...on spinning gear and with homemeade dough bait. Carp besides liking offensive odors also go nuts for sweets. Lots of time you can find them feeding on berries which have fallen into the water from trees and bushes. I also live

five minutes from carp infested waters and would love to catch one on the fly. The carp in this river will eat crayfish too. Mostly it seems when they are molting(the crayfish) rolleyes.gif and soft shelled. So perhaps a crayfish tied slightly liter color than normal.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think the carp I've been casting to aren't actively feeding now that I think of it....mostly cruising.....but you never know. I'm heading up to the Salmon River (NY) after work. Hopefully all the rain we got has the river running a little faster and got some browns or steelies to move. Take care all...and remember those serving the nation....and those flyfishing as well.

Last weekend I caught one on a White BH Wooly Bugger. I was fishing for Shad, so at least I didn't get skunked. The Shad swam around my feet instead of being out at casting distance where I could get them. I don't know if this is a recognized Carp pattern, but as usual, I think it'll work for just about any fish and I proved it.

Quadfish

Thanks Quad. I got a few of those in my box and I'll give it a try. I was fishing the Black near Boonville, NY this weekend and caught bunches of small bows and browns. There wasn't anything hatching and they were eating just about anything you threw at them (I think they just stocked the river the day before). Uneducated trout can be fun sometimes. Take care.

I caught one that was cruising straight towards me feeding on the bottom. I was standing in very low water in a small stream. So I stripped in my line carfully as to not make any movement that might scare him away. I then let the size 14 olive goldhead Nymph drop down right next to his head. He turned and took in one move.

What followed was my until now best and longest drill on a flyrod. I had my 5 weight rod with me and had put on a size 15 tipped.

But I won and got to land him. Unfortunately noone was with me, not even my camera, so I guess you will just have to take my word for it when I say it weighed at round 12 pounds.

headbang.gif

Hey Moskito, that rocks. headbang.gif When I go fishing specifically for carp I always use my 8 wt. Whenever I finally catch one, I'll start downgrading the size of my rod. My buddy caught a 19lb burbot that was cruising around with some carp on a green crystal bugger this weekend. He didn't know what the hell it was and he put it back in the water. The funny thing is that I looked up the NY state record for burbot and it was around 16lbs! Ha ha ha...needless to say he was a little irked about blowing his shot at a state record. ive_been_ripped.gif