Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RustyProp

Bigger/Wider Hackel

Where should I look to find larger sized hackle feathers? I'm interested in tying (palmering) Wooly Buggers, etc. in hook size 2, 4, 6 but just about every feather on the saddles I've purchased are for the smaller hook sizes. What should I ask for, my last two saddles were listed as "Large" but as it turned out that ment they were of longer length not wider! Any help for a newbie?

wink.gif

You can buy wolly bugger patches fairly cheap. I use packaged strung saddles and they work fine, they are fairly cheap as well.

I suggest that before you buy the saddle that you take it out of the package and look at the feathers to see if they will fit your needs, if the shop owner isnt willing to let you do this , then dont buy them. There is a diffrence in saddle hachels, some are for dyyfly tying and others are for buggers and such. Whiting is marketing bugger patches, ive bought afew and they are quite good.

I love cabelas saddle hackles for this...I think that you get a decent mix for a great price and everyone that I've bought has been in super shape... Good luck.

Whitting makes bugger packs in various colors and the packs have an assortment of hackles for different sizes of Wooly Buggers.

Irish

Sign in to follow this