Fly Tying
robow7

I hate Black! or at least Bugs in Black

You know I spend all this cash on beautiful colorful materials of every hue, that I think will put fish on the hook but time and time again, what works when every thing else has failed?, black flies. Be it black wooly buggers, black gnats, black wets, black nymphs you name it. It just sucks that my creativity gets kicked in the gut, when all my beautiful colorful combinations seem to consistantly under perform the same bug dressed in black. OK, my rant is over. Sorry.

Well, to make you feel a bit better, I have a place I used to be able to fish that held a huge number of very large bluegill & redear. I would give you $100 if you could get any of them to take black....ever! They loved a hare's ear color, but it had to be a caddis or scud to take fish. They would not take a mayfly nymph immitation either. If it was some form of caddis they would nail it right away, but turn their nose up at most other flies. They wouldn't even take a popper, for crying out loud! Just so you understand how much they reviled black, you could throw a live, black cricket out onto the water over bedding gills, and it would drown & die without getting a single look!!

For smallmouth, in my waters, black is effective. However, in it's own time. I never did well with chartreuse until this year. They wanted chartreuse during the spawn, but they would not touch it after the spawn. They went from taking chartreuse only, to black only. If they follow the pattern of most years, they will soon want olive only, for a few weeks.

For largemouth, in another pond I have fished, they will hit many colors, but they especially like a bubblegum color. Maybe you need to look at other waters for your answers. Some bodies of water have a staple color, and a good reason for that staple color.

Hello All,

I know, I know, Black is a killer color. It seems that it is just one of those incredibly versatile colors that means FOOD. It is worth pointing out that we are only limited by our imagination. Instead of just using black dubbing, try chopping up some orange, red or purple sythetic flash (zelon works great) and mixing it in with the dubbing for some subtle flash and contrast.

For the Bold and Beautiful, trying overdying synthetic pearl *anything* with Black dye for a beautiful peacock substitute.

Just because we are stuck with Black doesn't mean we can't have fun with it!

Keep it Deep,

Whippersnapper

I read somewhere black produces the best silhouette in certain water conditions that is why it is so effective. I can't remember what type of conditions... but I think it was for couldy water etc.. but I really can't say for sure.

Jeff

but I think it was for couldy water etc.. but I really can't say for sure.

I think I read somewhere that it is high and cloudy that black and also blue create good sihlouttes.

Cyan, magenta and yellow are the three subtractive primaries. Nearly any color can be produced with different combinations of these three colors. When you mix all three together in equal amounts, you get a near black . Now with that said. You are not working with just black, you working with all the colors mixed together. It maybe that the fish like flies with all the colors mixed together. Black! laugh.gif laugh.gif

BFR

Well I've been crushing the smallies with a Lavander over white clouser all year. It seems like the more beat up this fly gets the more they like it too... But black wooly buggers are a staple can't get around that.

A friend of mine ties just about all of his flies in black or white and he gets one heck of a lot of fish.

Black works best in heavily colored water, gray cloudy days, low light and at NIGHT. White works best in clearer water, and bright days...but keep in mind I said works best. That means its still optional to break the rules.

The other thing is when he says Black or White...he means he incorperates it into the fly pattern...it my not be the only color he uses on a fly but it is the main color of the fly.