Fly Tying

I was sneakin round a pond today and noticed BiG bass cruisin round. They were tearin into the small bream. I saw a bas swallow one 5 feet in front of me. BUT! when I tried to catch em they spooked out of the shallows on the first cast. I got ta readin and I figure that they may have spooked cause bass in the shallows can see outta the shallows real easy. So did they see my flouresant line on some of my false cast? I didnt spook them because I was a pretty good ways from them. Theres no way they could have seen me. I didnt slap the water any either?? So would clear fly line help any..

They didnt spook till i started to cast. I just think that in that clear water they're starting to realize that long green snake is my fly line. Cause I used to catch them on just about every cast. They are nice fish too. But recently,

they have been spookin when I start to cast. I think they could be seeing my false cast. I guess its just the weather. I fairly new to bass fishin with the fly but I have been doin it long enough to notice this behavior before. Maybe Its cause I fish em waaaaaaaay too much. (like twice everyday)

I'll have to wiat thisn out,

Jarrod

Could be your line but if your using a long enough leader and not casting over the fish that shouldn't be the case. If the water is slack water then it could be the line hitting the water that they are sencing rather than actually seeing the line. Are they crusing around in the shallows? if so then cast ahead of them by a good 10 ft and let them come to the fly.

If you can see them they can see you... thats the problem with fishin mosquito lagoon there people hammer the fish too hard and ANYTHING can send them off like a shot. just my .02

Hum sounds like educated fish, I know some of those myself. I fish SA streamer express clear tip with the same results. When I get into this in still water I start fishing poppers slow. Cast let it sit for ages, then start popping. They generally move back into the area and then I'm ready for them.

I also do good out of the belly boat with spooky fish...I think they just don't know what to make of the pair of legs hanging in the water.

Good luck you'll get'em

Interesting but I was doing some lmb fishin this Saturday. I was at a local county swimming res. with the family. Its about 10 acres. Brought my 8wt along just in case. Ended up working from the fill dam and catchin many lmb.

It was hot, water was clear, the fish were along the bank as well as in deeper water and they were spookable. I found that if I made long cast either diagnol to the shore or out straight to deep water I did the bass. I also got good strikes after letting my balsa popper sit for a good 30 seconds to a minute before giving it action. When I cast right on top of them they tended to spook or just stay down. My leader is about 10-11'.

I caught serveral from site casting to schools workin bait fish in the deeper water. It was kind of cool, like fishin for schooling bluefish. Caught a nice 2+ pounder with a good cast along the edge of an old dock. Again I made the cast, let it sit for a little bit, and on the first twitch, boom he was on (or she).

I went LMB and only caught one trolling with the yak. Orvis closer was a decent lure for the day, only landing 1 for 2 fish, had a few on other lures but trollings the only thing productive right now it seems sad.gif

dunno.gif dunno.gif dunno.gif

Jarrod.... three words..... "Dyn-o-mite"......... hysterical.gif .... Works every time.... Not good in catch and release situations, however.....

I too was pond fishing this weekend and the largemouth were crashing the shallows after whatever they could fit in their ample pieholes. I noticed that if I cast from the opposite bank to where they were they were much less spooky than if I sneaked around and cast parallel (sp?) along the bank.

Try this method, but that could be easier typed than done depending on the shape of the pond you're on.

John

Well where I was at had no shoreline brush/trees at all. Just grass...it could be the vibration in that shallow of water, I'm not sure..but it worked.

mandoyak

I fish many small ponds with clear water and the bass are educated from being hooked and released many times with the bigger fish being the most wary. Its a must that you be in some type of boat casting to the shorline rather than from the bank to have a chance of catching these fish. Also your chances are much better before the sun hits the water and after it is off the water. I believe a flyfisherman has an edge on many of these hard fished areas because the bass have seen about every combination of hardware and plastic that man has devised over and over, a fly pattern more than likely is new to them. Good luck!