Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Winter King Salmon Fishing and Tanner Crabbing.

This week end a friend and I went down to Homer Alaska to fish for winter king salmon and catch tanner crabs for the table. We were each lucky enough to catch a limit of kings and crabs each of the three days we were out.

20230127_141403.jpg20230128_123326.jpgIMG_20230131_161830.jpg

We were blessed with great weather and great fishing, can't wait to go again.

Mark nothing is better for the ticker than fresh fish and maybe a little crab on the side along with the cardio workout reeling them up.

3 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Mark nothing is better for the ticker than fresh fish and maybe a little crab on the side along with the cardio workout reeling them up.

I think you are right. We had some of the fish last night and it was superb. Can't wait to run out of it so we can go again.

8 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

Looks like a lot of fun, i guess you're firing up the smoker.

It's too cold to smoke up here right now. We'll eat some like they are and when it warms up, we'll smoke some too.

Thanks everybody

When we where on a sea cruise outa Seward in our July’21 trip I noticed schools of silvers chasing bait at the surface.  Water was slick.  We catch salties down here “under birds” but the people we saw were trolling only.   Do people ease up to this and cast and even fly cast to them like we do down here Dixie ?

I think they were silvers.  The Kings were in the creeks and the pinks and chums were just entering the creeks.  Couple of peeks of Reds in RussianRiver.    Low water had things screwed up...

1 hour ago, denduke said:

When we where on a sea cruise outa Seward in our July’21 trip I noticed schools of silvers chasing bait at the surface.  Water was slick.  We catch salties down here “under birds” but the people we saw were trolling only.   Do people ease up to this and cast and even fly cast to them like we do down here Dixie ?

I think they were silvers.  The Kings were in the creeks and the pinks and chums were just entering the creeks.  Couple of peeks of Reds in RussianRiver.    Low water had things screwed up

12193023-F32C-4D4B-BFB3-E4A5ED9388E5.jpeg

4F2D58BB-AEBF-43F4-87EE-977EA2B1E0D8.jpeg

DC02C2A2-D9F2-47DF-9278-0A3659C99C7E.jpeg

16E98EA6-E75D-4F6A-B141-D061FDF757F1.jpeg

63263B3D-00BC-4D1E-981E-57D24C81394C.jpeg

I have blind casted for silvers and all other species of Pacific salmon in streams. I have also "mooched" for silvers on flies in the ocean. I have "sight" casted for pinks, sockeyes, kings, chums, and silvers in streams. The ones in this post were all caught by conventional methods, trolling in the ocean, in the winter. As far as I know, it's the only way we can catch them in the winter. The crabs were caught in pots.

42 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

It’s good to see you back doing what you like to do. Nice catching too. 

Thank you, Mr.