Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyrod

Flies for HUGE bass

I'm heading to El Salto, Mexico, in two weeks (hope I don't put a spell on this). Bass there are really big, with many 2 digit lunkers. I'm taking the 9 wt to cast big poppers and streamers. I've caught largemouth bass on the fly, but nothing close to the sizes you'd expect in El Salto, so my question is, if any of you guys have caught big bass, which fly patterns would you recommend, as well as presentation tips? I don't have a sinking line, will a sinking tip do the job? Regarding leaders, which size and strenght should I use?

For what I've heard, those bass are vicious and smart: they will go deep and tangle lines in weeds and underwater trees, and are usually caught on 8+ inch plastic worms, and have seldom seen a fly.

My cousin Mike was there last week, this is one of many he caught:

user posted image

Thanks!

A nine wt is a good choice. Use weedless flies and a stout tippet.

Flies: Any of the Jim Stewart hair bugs. They are Umpqua flies so you should be able to find them

All on 3/0 hooks 34007 sw hooks

Stewart's

snooKroo

Lucky wiggler

Dancing Frog

Look in Bass flies by Stwaert and Allen for the Jim Stewart flies.

in white and green and multicolors.

These flies are worked fast.

Rod tip down and really work the fly. They are designed to dive and generally act like a Rapala.

Also Dahlberg divers Rabbit Strip in the same sizes. and make them in a variety of colors.

I fished with Jim in Florida where the flies were tested and defveloped.

We didn't catch anything under 3 lbs with these flies.

Used a 9 wt with 10 wt sinking lines and a bass bug floater with stout leaders.

Really good hits on the files.

I know they will work in Mexico.

Irish

I would suggest going with a saltwater type streamer--something 6 or 8 inches long using synthetic hair and lots of flash.

I encountered the same situation in May and popped a 6lb 9oz largemouth on such a pattern. Big bait = big fish

I layered light pink,smoke, chartruce, and then dark blue congo hair with flash in between layers. I then added a small piece of braided pearl corsair type tubing as a head assemby, added prismatic eyes, and topped it all off with some epoxy.

That fly shimmied and shaked and that biggun ate it on the first cast!

Good luck

Black Deceivers from 4" to 6" long or Double Bunnies in the same sizes. My guess is the number 1 baitfish is gizzard shad and some of those will get to 12" or more in length. A double bunny tied with olive on the back, white on the bottom and a silver mylar body, using large 3D eyes will work nicely. Always works for me on Lake Fork! Also rabbit strip Dalbergs fished on a sink tip will work wonderfully.

And I wouldn't go without at least a few Calcasieu Pig Boats tied on 3/0 hooks or larger. In black and purple, fwiw.

Take pics and post them when you return!

Joe C.

Wow, guys. Don't have enough words to thank you all for this input. You bet I will post a full report with pics once I get back!

Btw, I'm taking the vise and stuff there, I guess there will be no harm in experimenting while being there, plus, if I run out of the flies you all have kindly suggested, I'll need it there to tie. wink.gif

holy mother...........

that is one big pig

I dont catch them nearly that big but still use some big long streamers as indicated above. I like clousers with long tails, streamers with long zonker strips. I also tied some estaz eals with doubled hooks that are really long that get some good strikes.

Here is a shorter eal/worm single hooked I tied that gets some looks

user posted image

One thing I'd mention about some big flies tied for salt water is that a lot of them are tied to look big without being too bulky to allow them to be cast. If I water is stained, murky, or you have to fish somewhat deep these may not be the best choices.

For LMB I generally tie flies the fish will be able to feel through the water - snake flies, divers, and thickly tied clousers.

A full sink line acts differently in the water than a sink tip - if you have to fish below 10' of water I feel that you need a sinking line - because its not only the depth you can get a fly to but the depth you can work your retrieve at - a sink tip will plane up considerably when you are stripping. For short money you can build a shooting head out of Cortland LC-13 and some braided mono.

Good Luck

Yep, that's what I was thinking Sean Juan. I'll try to make that shooting head. Probably I could install the whole line, but what about the extra spool I'd need? dunno.gif And yes, for what I've been told, very likely the fish will be hanging under 10-15 ft. unsure.gif

Hell, I'll tie everything you guys suggested. Even if it doesn't work, it's worth the shot. Catching one of those bass is worth the whole trip, I guess. smile.gif

I generally keep one spool just for the shooting head system...

Rig it up with backing and then whatever you want to use for a running line. Different people use a lot of different stuff. The trade off boils down to the thicker the running line the easier it is to handle - the thinner it is the further you will be able to cast. The most popular choice is probably Amnesia braided mono - pretty good balance between the two. I like to use a level flyline.

For heads LC is great just balance it with your rod by cutting it down so that it loads the rod the way you like. I also make heads out of old fly lines - since it doesn't touch the guides while being cast its a good use for nicked up lines.

Ditto on the big flies big fish. Stout leaders, never noticed old bucketmouth too leader shy. Early and late might get the surface bite. Forget the size 2-4s make you some big deer hairs on some 3/0-5/0 Diachi hooks. Slow your timing down so you don't get hit in the head with half a chicken! Prolly ain't got time for any huge cork poppers. Never seen many available in the giant size; had to make my own. One other thing point the rod at the bug and pop or strip so on strikes you can drive the big hooks home by jerking hard on the line as you jerk the rod. The rod alone won't do it very well. Main problem with big fish on a fly is weak hook sets. The frog bugs though usually end up deep in the gills. A little pause after the strike before you set will help too...Good luck!

user posted image

Since we're talking big poppers. I'd recommend Bob's Bangers. They push a lot of water. Also, with the big salt water flies. Take a look at Siliclones. I've got some that are 7 or 8 inches long that can be cast with an 8 wgt. Another fly that can move a lot of water is a Semper Fleye, it's light weight and can be tied to the need lengths. If gizzard shad is the prime forage, look up peanut bunker patterns, again these are best tied with artificial hairs. Try preblending the flash with the hair before tying it. If murky water is an issue, just tie in a rattle or two along the shank, or look at a fly like Steve's Baby Angel which is tied completely out of Angel Hair or a Spread Fly.

denduke

"...Slow your timing down so you don't get hit in the head with half a chicken! ,,,"

laugh.gif laugh.gif

So true and lordy does it hurt to get wacked with a big fly. I smacked the back of my head last season with 4" heavily weighted streamer, was I cursing like a sailer afterwords laugh.gif