Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SpooledX2

Some questions about tying...

Hello everyone,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am a surf fishermen here in Jersey. I dont use a fly rod ( not yet anyway ) but spinning tackle. Over the past few weeks, I have been introduced to using clousers as a teaser. And I must admit...I have fallen in love with them.

I met someone on the beach who ties his own, and I have been buying them from him.....but now I want to start tying them myself. Its got to be a great feeling catching a fish on something you made.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me in the right direction. The essentials I need, where I could purchase them, and hell...if someone lives in Jersey who is willing to do some 1 on 1 instructions that would be great as well....

Thanks in advance,

Spooled

First of all, welcome to the forum. To answer your question you will need at least 2 different colors of bucktail. 1 white and another color of your choice. Chartruse is the most widely used.You will need lead eyes also.The medium sized eyes are probably good. If you have a Gander Mountain or other store in the area they should carry this stuff. You will also need the basic tools, Vice, Scissors,bobbin,thread, etc. I can post a few pics to help you if you want. Any more questions just ask, there are plenty of people to answer them.

QUOTE (Blueman89 @ Jun 22 2005, 09:57 PM)
First of all, welcome to the forum. To answer your question you will need at least 2 different colors of bucktail. 1 white and another color of your choice. Chartruse is the most widely used.You will need lead eyes also.The medium sized eyes are probably good. If you have a Gander Mountain or other store in the area they should carry this stuff. You will also need the basic tools, Vice, Scissors,bobbin,thread, etc. I can post a few pics to help you if you want. Any more questions just ask, there are plenty of people to answer them.

Pictures would be great.....

I dont know of any shops in my area that sell the materials....could you recommend a website? What about flashy material? Also, could you recommend any books, or videos? Maybe even a starter kit.

-Spooled

Spooled,

You can find all of the materials you need from J. Stockard, the FTF's sponsor. Thier prices are very competitive and service is excellent.

QUOTE (DFix @ Jun 23 2005, 07:42 AM)
Spooled-

Where are you in Jersey? We'll get you set up - not to worry!

DFix,

I am located in central jersey ( monmouth county )

-Spooled

Here are some step by step photos of a clouser. I will make this 2 posts.user posted image

Start thread and cover about 1/3 of the shank.user posted image

Tie in lead eyes about 1/3 the way up the thread wraps. Tie in white deer hair in front of eyes.user posted image

Fold deer hair over eyes and tie down with a few wraps of thread.Only half the hook shank should be covered. Continue on to next post.

user posted image

Now wrap the thread to in front of the eyes. Take 1 piece of flash and fold it in half and cut. Repeat this step agian. Now you have 4 pieces. invert hook in vise and tie in flash on top(the bottom) of the shank.Also tie in the deer hair the same way . user posted image

Trim deer hair close to shank.Make a smooth, tapered head to cover the deer hair.Half hitch or whip finish. user posted imageHere is the finished fly.

You might want to superglue or epoxy the head to make it a little more durable.