Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Non-Tying Question

I'm a biologist gone bad - received my first degree in biology (emphasis in limnology/freshwater acquatics) and worked on a masters in zoology. Couldn't find work (early '80s - remember Reagan) so I sold out and went to law school and became a personal injury attorney. Also a little too involved in civic duties of late (hospital board, state bar association and a lake improvement group).

My wife's a certified veterinary tech - possessing (at present) a dog, cat and horse.

Two kids (10 and 12 - that'll kill ya when you're 52 like I am).

I have worked as a carpenter, but feel a little left-out when I see all the engineers and IT guys on this list. . . I'm happy just to see our office network up and running in the morning.

Love to fish, collect and read books (old and new),fish, sail, fish, golf a little, fish, bike and maybe fish.

Favorite fish (you forgot to ask that Al) - Brookies and Northern Pike (on the fly) headbang.gif

It's Friday - if any of you see tomorrow morning, it'll be on the water!

I do research on flower seed. I get them to germinate better. I also mange other reserache areas dealing with flowers.

My wife is in purchasing

I am a Mining Engineer from Montana and worked in Copper in AZ, and for PicketPin, Iron ore in Minnesota, Hibbing Taconite now Cliveland Cliffs, and the quartz business in North Carolina.

I am on the Board of Directors for the Federation of Fly Fishers and also am President of the Southeastern Council for FFF.

I used to fish but now it seems like I talk about fly fishing more than I fly fish.

My favorite fish is a Smallie and I am going to show TroutBum how to catch them.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

My wife works in Optical for the local Optomerist. She is definitely into Purchasing.

Irish Dave

Yea I guess all wives are in purchasing. Mine is no exception.

It is not so bad when she is spending someone elses money though. Doesn't seem to diminish her desire to spend our however.

I'm a 60 year old oral physiotherapist (dentist!) tongue.gif . My retired-teacher wife does lots of volunteer work. My 34 year old son went bad, becoming a golfer when he's not being a psychologist. My 31 year old paramedic son is my fishing guy.

Chuck

Interesting thread. I'm a retired Research Engineer from a refractories (high temperature ceramics) company. Retirement is great as it gives you more time for fishing, flytying, traveling etc. Wife is a homemaker and we have two grown sons.

Dave

I'm 33, business degree with a diploma in international commerce and tax laws, I manage the HR dept in a security company with over 2000 employees. Wife works at home (unpaid?) trying to raise my 3 spoiled girls so they can be good people like their daddy when they grow up. laugh.gif She's a fashion designer. I'm about to leave this friggin office and start my own business in the Mayan Riviera... god willing.

Almost forgot, we live in Mexico City.... not like the mex people you get to see in every US city suburb.... I actually went to school, huh. laugh.gif

Had about 8 yrs in the service, had a good time, so you'll hear me talk about that from time to time. Was a state trooper for awhile. Had an off duty accident that took me off the road about 7 yrs a go. They hired me back as a dispatcher. So now I sit here at Rockford. We take all cellular 911 for Kent County and Grand Rapids and our cars patrol the primary roads in this county. We're also the 6th district headquarters and regional dispatch, processing any specialized responses/requests in the district and overseeing operations of the outlying posts. I'm normally at work when on here. A lot of the stuff is repetitive, so it's easy to play on here at the same time.

Don

Own a security company specializing in executive protection and the control of extraordinary violence.

Also own a high end systems integration company - home theaters, access control, automation, hvac, etc.

Great idea for a thread!

I drive a semi. Just regional 75-80 hours a week, deliviering stores like WalMart, Target, and convenience stores... I bring the the candy, cigarettes, Gatorade... all the good stuff. Yes, I drive the semi right onto the lot at the BP or Exxon station, Dairy Mart, whatever. A lot like tying #22 BWO's. I unload an entire 53' trailer in one day, up and down a ramp off the back with a dolly. (Note: I'm 5'6" and 130 lbs. flex.gif )

I go to school 14 hours a week... computer applications technology.

Small-time commercial fly tier (mostly retail, and two flyshops).

Maintain my web site and a couple others.

I have two daughters, my wife works at the county "bad-kids" school... the kids aren't as bad as all that.

In my spare time I do some artwork and read philosophy.

Oh... once in a while I'll sleep a little. sleep1.gif coffee1.gif

I'm a sales representative in the fly fishing industry for Rainy's, The Canadian Llama Company, and U.S. Distributor of Vosseler Reels.

Stef, my fiancee is the same, plus she's in charge of keeping me organized. She is also currently working for the state of Utah, writing a homeless plan for the Northern Utah community of Logan. She also serves on the Utah board of Trout Unlimited, as well as our local chapter, Cache Angler's.

I am 50+ years old, and adding another + tomorrow, 25 June. I am an interventional cardiologist- taking care of the heart attacks, doing dye tests, putting in balloons and stents. Did 8 years in the USAF as a medical officer before entering private practice.

My wife is fluent if French and German, teaches Latin and French at a private K-8 school, as well as being Head of Foreign Languages at the school.

4 wonderful kids, in varying stages of growing up, the youngest a rising senior in college.

One 14 year old Golden Retriever, "Tweed", but better known lately as "Lazarus"!!

Don't fish as much as I would like, but who really does??

Next year I'llbe married for 25 years. My wife is clustermanager of the unit for elderly patients in an psychiatric institute. That's where we met........ as colleagues, that is. I hurt my back badly and was unemployed because of that. I went to school again and after some odd jobs I now work at a Labour office as an advisor for the unemployed.

Our daughter of 23 is finishing University, so we got a party coming.

Our son of 19 is in training for the Air Assault/Airborne Brigade of the Dutch Army and he will probably serve in Afghanistan.

All of this takes too much off my fishing time, but that's how it is, alas.

I like to go flyfishing for trout, grayling, seebass. Seatrout in Denmark, Salmon and Steelhead in Pulaski upstate NY every three to four years, with my son and two or three friends.

I like tying and going over forums.

Sjo