Fly Tying
robow7

Octopus hooks for large streamers ?

Has anyone ever used Octopus hooks for larger streamer or baitfish patterns ?  Just wondered if there were any pros or cons of this design and were hook ups decent ?  I've been tying up some larger Hollow Flies for bass and wondered if these might work well since I need a shorter shaft but wide gap hook (and Gamakatsu Octopus hooks are readily available around me)  As always, thank you for your input.

I don't see why you couldn't, as long as the shank was long enough for your purposes, but aren't they an off-set hook? 

@Philly  or @Capt Bob will probably have more insight.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

I don't see why you couldn't, as long as the shank was long enough for your purposes, but aren't they an off-set hook? 

@Philly  or @Capt Bob will probably have more insight.  

Yes, in that the upward point angles away slightly from the downward shaft.  This particular hook above is very strong and stiff due to the heavier wire used and wondered if that might impair penetration vs. a thinner gauge hook ?  Or do others pay any attention to that other than say Capt. Bob who targets larger than average fish.

I've may have used Octopus hooks for some small baitfish patterns.  I do use drop-shot hooks for smaller bait fish patterns.  I don't have a problem with off-set hooks.  You can leave them that way or carefully straighten into in-line hooks.  My problems with the Octopus hooks is the sharply upturned eye.  The hooks are designed to be snelled and fished with bait.  You'll have to be careful when building the head of the pattern to insure you don't block the eye.  For bait fish and streamers I prefer a straight eye hook. The shanks are shorter than I like them for tying a bait fish pattern, especially a large one, like a hollow fly.  You're going to have to stuff a lot of material in that space.  As far as penetration, I'm not sure the thickness of the hook makes that much difference.  Debarb them which will help with the penetration and bass don't have what you would call a hard mouth.  Here's a picture of a bass I caught, you can see how the hook penetrated.  In larger sizes the hook would be considered a heavy hook.  It's a Daiichi 2461, size 6.  You can also see the fish has been caught and released before.

578429665_Basshead_100.jpg.b09f2e136b1d52e17868255be41ffdd4.jpg

I like the Gamakatsu B10S Stinger hook for bait fish patterns.  It should be available in your area.  If not look for straight shank worm or spinner bait hooks.  If you're got the Octopus hooks, tie some flies and see how they work.   I don't fish huge patterns for bass, my bait fish patterns range from 2 to 6 inches. I have some streamers that run to 8 inches.   See what size lures and soft plastics the local bass guys are using.  What are the forage fish in the lake.   Good luck with the hollow flies, you have more patience than I do.

They are my go to for many saltwater fly patterns as they are cheap. I especially find them useful for juvenile tarpon flies. Tarpon are notoriously hard to get a good hookset, but I have had good success in both hooking, and keeping hooked, tarpon of all sizes.

I don't use the Octopus hooks -- except for Octopus Circle hooks (and they're used with live baits - about the size of a 12 -14" trout...).   Here's a relatively new hook on the market that I'm experimenting with a bit - but it's not cheap -the Owner Aki Light.  If you enter those three words on E-Bay you'll be able to get a good look at them being offered for sale... and they're in-line , not off-set....

An alternative is to head for your nearest big box tackle shop (Bass Pro comes to mind) and survey the hooks they sell to use with plastic worms for something that will meet your needs.  They'll be relatively light wire, with a large gape, and in-line, not offset...  Hope this helps

On YouTube, Charlie Craven ties this Sculpzilla pattern that uses an Octopus hook.  I've tied a few of them, but haven't fished them yet.  Cheers!