Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

Tying Starter Set Help

OK, I have the green light to buy my fly tying stuff this coming week. headbang.gif

Too bad I have no clue what to do though. dunno.gif

I have a budget of $200.00 to spend. I already know that I want to tye flies and more than likely it will turn into a side business. I love messing with lots of different stuff, so I know that more variety of materials is better for me. I don't want to tie 60 or 70 sowbugs and then go to something different. I want to learn sowbugs and then jump right on into something else. Or if I see something on the net I might want to try right quick, I have materials to do it with. Most of my tying will be for trout, bass, panfish, but I know that I will want to tie salts as well just to do it. Normally if I can't throw something different in the mix, I get bored really fast and will burn out on whatever it is that I am doing. I also know that I will want more and more toys as time goes on. biggrin.gif

Part of me says get the Large Kit and then add to it later. The kit would allow me to learn to tie alot of different flies and practice. I would also get a large feel for tying and the video and book appear to have lots of instructions for several different flies. This is about the best looking kit I have seen.

The other part of me says get a Good Rotary Vise and build from there. I thought about getting a Small Kit since it has tools, it would give me an extra vise, and it would give me some materials and set of instructions. Then I would have extra money to get other supplies, tools, and such.

When I buy stuff I really like to buy in assortments for the first time:

Beads

Thread

Lead Eyes

This way I have plenty of materials on hand should the need arise. I can always buy a spool or pack of the things I use most when the need arises. It's easier and cheaper than buying a package or spool of something for just one use.

Too bad there are not more assortments of hooks, feathers and fur.

I know that alot of materials will come from local craft shops and such. Feathers, fur, and hooks are going to be the biggest things bought from fly shops.

Later down the road I know there will be something that I will find that I could have done different to get a better start.

What is your personality, how did you start, and what would you have done different?

My advice is to not buy any kits. Kits include a bunch of low quality crap, that really isnt sutable for tying. Usually the sweepings off the floor.(imho) and the tools are very poor. Save yourself a lot of $ and frustration, dont buy a kit.

I recomend buying decent quality tools, and then pick a pattern you want, get the materials for it. The tools should last a very long time. Ive had my vise for over 25 yrs now and it still holds a hook as well as the day i got it.

Then when you find another pattern you want, get those materials......and so on.

That way you anmmass a selection of materials that you will use.

Go with the part of you that wants the rotary vice and go from there.

I would recommend that you do not buy a kit. You're going to get a little bit of everything and none of it will be high quality. If you're going to be a serious tyer, buy the best vise you can afford and build on that. With your budget the Dan-Vise is the best bang for the rotary buck, I think you can pick one up for about $75. Many very good tyers on this forum use one and they love them.

You're going to need:

scissors (small and large)

dubbing needle

hackle pliers

whip finishing tool

bobbins (you'll need at least two)

Head cement

Tweezers

hooks

dubbing

hackle

You budget is going to be toast once you get all this stuff. You may want to contact J. Stockard and/or Al Beatty and see what kind of package they can put together for you that fits your budget.

I know I saw a couple other posts from you SwampHunter where you said you had decided on a kit, so I hate to say dont do what you feel you want to BUT....

I REALLY have to agree with Paul&atb2, you may think it looks like your getting what you will need/use in that kit, but with in the first full 10 hours of tying you will be regreting buying the kit.

Paul had a great idea with contacting Al Beatty(member of this site and owner of his own shop) or J.stockard and seeing what sort of "package" they can put together for you. I honestly would contact Al or Stockard and tell them your budget, along with what you want to tie/fish for and I would guarantee they would be able to mix/match up some great quality tools&materials that you will be happy with for a long time to come.

SD

I started with a kit and what I

would have done differently is

had more money. Starting with

$300 I spent about $250 on rod,

reel, backing, line, leader, tippet.

And since I vowed from the start

I wasn't going to fish any storebought

flies, this pretty much dictated that

I immediately buy a Cabela's kit.

It was right for me at the time,

then again I've been slowly

replacing that stuff since day 1.

Your $200 could go pretty far

if you shop wisely.

OK, I have made my mind up...... I think. bugeyes.gif

I will be ordering a DanVise and $30.00 tool kit from J. Stockards. This will give me a nice tool kit and nice vise, plus it helps support the forum here. headbang.gif

This week I will be going to a fly shop on the river that I fish. I get to learn what to use and how to use it. Then I can make choices in what I really need.

Then I can order and buy lots and lots of stuff when time comes. devil.gif

Thanks for all of the input.

If you are looking to tie warm water flies I would recommend Cabelas Deer Hair Grub bag and Whiting Grub bag if you can find one. This way for about $20.00 you will have plenty of deer hair and feathers to work with. I have both of these grub bags (one deer hair and 4 whiting) and I feel I got a great buy for the money on both of these. If you looking into tying dry flies you got to step up and buy TOP quality dry necks or saddles.

Ditto on what said above about the tools.

Tips:

1. You can make your own dubbing needle by using a wooden dowel and a large needle.

2. No need to buy half hitch tools.

3. Dubbing rake can be made from a piece of velcrow on a wooden dowel.

Watch out this hobby will get very expensive.

Regards,

David

No, these are not it. Whiting grub bag is here.. I don't see deer hair grub bag at cabelas anymore dunno.gif . If you are looking to tie some salt water flies I think deer tail grab bag is not at bad deal.

Just my 2 cents but as others have suggested do not go with the kit.For the price you could still get enough material buying it a piece at a time and end up with more better material for the same price you pay for the kit.Vice i would for sure go with a Dan-Vice.Good quallity vice for decent price.I picked one up this spring and love it.Just as good as those high price vice if not better.

One thing to remember with tying material, "a little goes a long way"

Man aint that the truth..Another thing if i were you keep a list of material you have on hand...Will help from not coming back from the shop with more of the same stuff you already have...

tt