Fly Tying
Bluesy

Applying dubbing

when I started I had no idea what kind of wax you are suppossed to use, was using a birthday candle rubbed up and down the thread, not great, but it actually helped a bit :lol:

I may be wrong, but I think the "waxed" thread means the thread is coated to prevent the strands from unwinding too easily, it isn't tacky and wont help with dubbing. I use Loon wax when I need it - not very often. If I want a real buggy look, I'll use a dubbing loop.

Good Day,

Hmmm.. thin yet spiky. I sometimes very carefuly split the thread and place dubbing with the space creating essentaill a chenille of sorts. Add it lightly to the thread. You cabn alway add more! Remember that. let the spikes jut all over the space. I kind of like more pikes than dubbing for this style. A little heavier on both toward the end that will eventually meet the thorax. It should almost come out looking like a pipe brush, IMO...

Steelie

Hi Bluesy, I used to live in Ayshire but I'm in England now. I use bees wax for my main waxing, also cobblers wax. Do a google or Ebay search for those. Cobblers wax can be bought from Bagpipe suppliers, you'll get enough to last you about 200 years for about a fiver.

I only really use wax for the first few inches of silk just so it sits well on the shank and adds a bit of stick. For Bobs bits and Hoppers I use Blended seal, usually 3 colours. For black I'd use 70% black, 25% dark claret and the rest deep blood red. Rib it with clear 2lb nylon, not flourocarbon, to keep the profile down. Then attack it with velcro to get that 'halo' effect. Blended furs help with this, you get a nice very dark claret with a few red flecks. Very few insects are 100% black, brown or green in solid shades. Here's a pic I took for another forum, it might be useful to see the black, claret, red mix...

post-1877-1139230273_thumb.jpg

I would personally recommend that you not get in the habit of using wax. It takes just a short time to learn not to use it and your flies will come out cleaner. Literally! I think the wax leaves something on the fly that tastes unnatural. I may be wrong but I think I catch more fish when I keep my flies more "natural" and avoid things that might flavor the fly.

Hi Bluesy,

I've been using wax for the better part of 30 years. I'm getting too old at this stage of the game to change. Also, a good, sticky wax is required to do LaFontaine's "touch dubbing" or "double magic" techniques. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com