Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Fly Fishing in movies

Of course "a river runs through it" would be obvious but I'd like to see how many movies we can list that show someone fly fishing in some aspect even if it is only for one scene.

Sword Fish

If anyone hasn't seen it, it is a John Travolta movie about computer hacking and terrorism, but there was one scene where John Travolta flies onto a stream into a helicopter to visit a senator who was fly fishing. He talks to the guy for a few minutes and then shoots him!

River Wild with kevin bacon has about a 30 sec. scene.

A movie with alan alda as some bigwig of a company that takes his partners for a river rafting trip i think had a scene.

Hey OSD, I just taped "Man's Favorite Sport" the other week! Pretty funny and light.

My favorite flyfishing scene in a movie is in "The Quiet Man", starring John Wayne. It is set in Ireland and the Catholic priest has a running rivalry with a large fish, and there are scenes of him standing hunched over on the bank in his black clothes and white collar intently staring at the water. He is deftly and slowly stripping in line. He ends up hooking up, wading wildly into the flow and hollaring for the net. The lovely Mary Kate, to whom he was giving marital counseling prior to the hook-up, is yelling advice from the bank. It ends with him breaking off the fish and uttering an oath that sends Mary Kate scurrying away.

Sorry Big Daddy, but the Duke played an expatriot American boxer who moved to Ireland in the movie, and wasn't in the fishing scenes. He spent all his time pursuing and catching the lovely Mary Kate...certainly a keeper. He did have one of the greatest fist fight scenes in movie history in the film...

Description

From legendary Hollywood director Howard Hawks, "Man?s Favorite Sport?" features Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss in a hilarious fish-out-of-water tale The Film Daily applauded as simply ?delightful.? Roger Willoughby (Hudson) is happily employed as one of the world?s great angling experts. Unfortunately, even his own boss doesn?t know that Roger has never been fishing in his life. So when press agent Abigail Page (Prentiss) arranges for Roger to participate in her resort?s upcoming fishing tournament, he?s thrown into a panic. At the resort, he and Abby commence a crash course to turn him into a genuine outdoorsman ? only to have their plan riotously upset by a surprise visit from Roger?s fiancee. With a sparkling score by composer Henry Mancini, "Man?s Favorite Sport?" is a comedy classic you?ll fall for hook, line and sinker!

steeldrifter

No just a light comedy no real fishing or fly fishing scenes

but good none the less.

OSD.

And Paula Prentiss in this movie...Hubba Hubba says I, Hubba Hubba! bugeyes.gif

A good description of the movie, OSD.