Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
maty31373

Parachute HELP!!!

OK, here is the deal-ee-o...

Last night, I came in after an abnormally long, hot Army day blink.gif . I had decided that in order to blow off steam, it was going to be a "new fly" tying night dry.gif . I started the night with a #12 green bead head nymph. The hackle looked ok, but as per any new fly for me, it was pretty rough and will evolve into the semblance of a real fly befor too long cool.gif . Anyhow, the next attempt was an emerger. rolleyes.gif I know, I know, what business did I have trying to tie an emerger...but what the heck dunno.gif The dubbing went well cool.gif the wings were ok wink.gif then.....came the parachute wallbash.gif wallbash.gif wallbash.gif It took me more than a couple of wraps and un-wraps to get it to even kinda look like a parachute. pause for laughter hysterical.gif

ok

My question is this is there an easier way to tie a parachute or at least one that a newbie can grasp without having an aneurism???

I use the method in the tutorial that Flytire posted, however, I dub the entire body first, make a thread head at the hook eye, dub back to the post, wrap the hackle and then whip finish the fly to the base of the parachute post. this way, I don't tie down the hackle as I'm dubbing the body of the fly.

Calvin

OK, I have an update. I finally tied one that actually looks like an emerger. When I threw it out into the drift, the danged thing really floated well as it was supposed to and on the second cast....WHAM...a 12 inch bow. I was tickeled silly about it. I would like to thank everyone for the outstanding advice and info.

TIGHT LINES AND SCREAMING REELS!

Hi mayt31373,

That is a great looking parachute. Keep up the good work.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Looks like youv'e been given some gread advice already that got you well on the road.Your fly looks great

A couple of tricks I use that might help some is at the base of my post I add the SMALLEST drop of super glue which makes my post a little stiffer and easier to wrap the hackle around.

The other is after taking about four turns of hackle around the post and tieing off the end behind the head I take my left hand and useing my thumb and forefinger I pull the hackle fibers that are in the way over the eye and pull them rearward until I finish the whip finish on the fly. After cutting the thread I just take my fingers and striaghten the hackle a little.