Fly Tying

Article - Realistic Insect Wings

Graham

So what do you think? My intentions now, once my Dura Lar arrives is to use these guys on this blank. I have been getting pretty good at my painting as well.

Banned

post-49-1120940475.jpg

Graham

I will have my small spinner wing set done this evening and post it for you guys. It is going to make a sharp complete set.

Banned

Lookin good Smokey, I mean Banned...

I just scanned some real Damsel wings,

two files to share, 300 and 600 dpi, best way to save is to right click mouse and click on "save target as". If you click the link they will be much larger and only 72 dpi.

600 dpi files is half a Meg, hope you have broadband.

600 dpi scanned Damsel Wings

here a reduced for web 300 dpi, not as detailed as 600.

user posted image

QUOTE (Graham @ Jul 9 2005, 02:58 PM)
Hi Ulf, I set my "print properties" from plain paper to transparency, or it wont print well and smears. I use a color laser and have wondered if it would smear with an inkjet, and if a light spray of varnish would work to protect the coloring? I seem to recall printing color on clear overhead transparencies years ago (not tying related) and it did not smear.

Thanks Banned, I just saved your second file, it looks nice.

Graham

I've tried to set it to OH-film or transparent paper but the ink won't stick, which is kinda strange because ink from a marker pen will stick after a minute or two, but the ink from the printer hasn't stuck to the paper even when I left it over night to dry. I kinda dries laying on top of the film and it just brushes of. But I think it can be the wrong kinda film for an ink printer. Too bad I don't have a colour printer, I would sure like to try the Duralar, but haven't found any store in sweden that sells it and no internet shop that delivers to europe either sad.gif

But I'll keep trying.

Ulf

Hey Banned, your mayfly looks very shapely, nice tying!!!!

Thanks for sharing more wing files!

Ulf, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some Dura Lar, blank and color printed. I will probably have to get more this week, I've sent a couple envelopes to Europe.

Graham

Hey Banned,

Wow. I've wondered for quite sometime how the coloring would look on your flies, the blank white bodies always looked nice. Well, the coloring and wings sure make the picture pop, nice tying, very nice.

Graham

It's the only part of the fly glued on. I take some glass beads, and using diagonal cutters, cut the beads in half. Some just shatter, others break cleanly, so do about a dozen, then take the pieces and find two that match nicely, a drop of zap-a-gap, stick em on, then paint the head with colored acrylic varnish, to build up a bit around the eyes, making them look sunk in around the edges and more realistic.

Graham

Great article! I'm not real sharp on scanner technology and I am kinda stuck on "natural" materials but I like the concept! Unbelievable "bugs" . Keep your line clean and your fly on the water! thumbsup.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Jun 30 2005, 06:16 PM)
You guys are in for a real treat with this one. Graham has shown us step by step how he creates the realistic wings on his flies. Not only does he show how it's done he even offers a download of his templates for our own use.

He has defiently done the leg work on this one to make it easier for all of us.  headbang.gif

Thanks Graham for another great tutorial!!!!

Realistic Insect Wings

user posted image

great work! eek.gif

I hope I find the wing products in Europe

greeting

thomas