Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sparkleminnow

Grass Carp/Asian Carp

Gordon, your muddy water might have a good bit to do with the differences in what we have experienced. I notice large differences when comparing any fish caught in gin clear water to muddy water. The Amur I have fished to were mostly in gin clear water. You couldn't get near them unless you were camoflaged, and motionless. The first two I caught were also on spinning gear. The last two were on the fly. If I get busy with the scanner, I can scan an old photo of a friend's Amur that he caught. It went 47lbs, and was the smallest one in the school!

hello, I am new to your board. Just found you searching around. I fly fish for Big Head Asian carp wading in a dirty warm river. I use flies. It is not grass carp, it is not the common German carp. Not the Silver, these are the big heads.

I got introduced to it last spring. Under the right conditions, they do hit flies, streamer types and clouser types. The water seems to have to be moving fairly fast, and they hit them HARD. I think they are filtering for anything coming through the water when they hit them, such as dead shad and the like. These are not snags. I have not had much success in slower water where they swim around filtering like small submarines. White/blue and Chartruse/white seem so far to be the best. SS hooks 2 and larger.

My next trip I plan to try some subsurface bugs, as they seem to eat anything that is in their way as they swim and open and close their mouths. I just have to experiment with some flies that might interest them as bugs in the water.

just broke an 8 wt a few weeks ago. now up to a 10 wt. They tend to be a bit large and strong.

be seeing you.