Fly Tying

Favorite Warmwater species

What are your favorite target species for warmwater?  

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread, but, has anyone said <b>WHITES </b>yet ?

post-113-1276723538_thumb.jpg

post-113-1276723473_thumb.jpg

post-113-1276723431_thumb.jpg

You know, I thought I had already participated in this one?! I guess I missed the boat, so to speak. Yes Whitey Herzog is a great fish, but my fave is the hybrid striper. White bass on steroids!!

I love bowfining with a fly rod!! We endearingly call them Swamp Muskies!!!These prehistoric beast put up a GREAT fight!!!

P9160495retouched.jpg

I voted bass for the largemouth because that's what I grew up with, but the bluegills are a close second gotta love em heck I bought a 3wt just to chase em!!!! Gentlemen if you ever get to set the hook on a bowfin (a grinnel in my neck of the woods) you will walk away in awe they are bad to the bone

Strong fast and aggressive with a mouth full of teeth and now will be forever known to me as "Swamp Muskies" :rockon:

BDH I love em all and I think all the rest of these guys do too and we will probably still be visiting this tread in another six years

BTW I foul hooked a 48" carp right behind the dorsal fin last year on a ultralight spinning rod and let me tell ya it was game on until the 8lb test threw the towel in, I'm pretty sure he could pull a water skier

I voted carp. I've yet to land one on a fly, but my time will come. Found a great spot on the little miami. Hooked a few, just not hooked very good. I catch them on light spinning gear a lot, and they are a blast! I enjoy anything that's biting though. Bass are loads of fun, and a big bluegill fights harder for its size than anything else I think. Even the small ones feel big. I'm also hoping to catch a flathead on the fly sometime soon.

I love bowfining with a fly rod!! We endearingly call them Swamp Muskies!!!These prehistoric beast put up a GREAT fight!!!

P9160495retouched.jpg

I voted bass for the largemouth because that's what I grew up with, but the bluegills are a close second gotta love em heck I bought a 3wt just to chase em!!!! Gentlemen if you ever get to set the hook on a bowfin (a grinnel in my neck of the woods) you will walk away in awe they are bad to the bone

Strong fast and aggressive with a mouth full of teeth and now will be forever known to me as "Swamp Muskies" rockon.gif

BDH I love em all and I think all the rest of these guys do too and we will probably still be visiting this tread in another six years

BTW I foul hooked a 48" carp right behind the dorsal fin last year on a ultralight spinning rod and let me tell ya it was game on until the 8lb test threw the towel in, I'm pretty sure he could pull a water skier

Bowfin, grinnel, mudfish, or by what ever you wish to call them... these are the fightin'ist fish in warm water in the USA... They will trash your fly and perhaps your reel and rod... They don't eat good, nor will most of your fishing friends accept it, but a bowfin is king of warmwater fly fishing... IHMO

Oh, and don't "lip 'em"! HA!

Bowfin47

Actually I've had bowfin before and it's almost, almost like a catfish as far as taste goes. You have to keep them alive until you stick a knife in them though, even if they've only been dead five min. By the time you clean them, the meat turns to a jello like texture, real mushy.

I spent several days looking for a pair of leather gloves that actually have leather across the back of the thumb. Most have cloth on the back side.

With the full leather thumb, I lip Bowfin (the Official name) and Gar.

My vote was for Bass. I have always really enjoyed catching small mouth bass and have been having a lot of fun hauling them in on the fly this summer. Second, third and fourth would be Northern Pike, Walleye, Chain Pickerel.

Largemouths are soooo much fun. Hook into a big one that peels off drag and that is what makes me keep coming back for more. I am dreaming about a big fight on a fly, I can't wait!! My largest bass on a fly so far was only a pound or so, but I'm fishing water that I've seen 14+ lbers come out of so maybe the fish gods will be with me someday.

I don't really have a favorite but if i did it would probably be the bluegills and sunfish.I love catching the largemouth bass.Early morning.Water is still.Everything is quiet.You're dragging a popper or foam frog across the water.Then the water just explodes as the bass attacks your fly.Nothing gets the heart going like that!How could you not love it.

I love the smallmouth because even a 1 lb'er fights like a 5 lb'er. Love the white bass.especially when they're in the jumps or feeding on the top water.Looks like the water is boiling from all the frenzy.Usually cast anything white and catch a boat load of them.But you gotta love the gills and panfish.When nothing else is biting you can always catch these.Some of the best eating by far i believe.I have caught some large carp on spinning gear but i've never caught one on the fly either.Thats gonna happen someday.

Hands down this my favorite warm water species.

Most definitely agree ... but those darned fish keep getting in the way!!!

I would have bet my next pay check that you were going to be the first person to reply to that post Mike. LOL

You have a good day.

Yeah, it's so hard to resist something like that. I gave up trying several years ago.

Thank you ... I almost always have a good day ... same wish back at you.

That my friend is the happiest gar on the planet. Just look at the expression on its face. I swear its grinning. Its eyes are glowing. Just imagine what he told his buddies when he got released. LOL