Fly Tying

Favorite Warmwater species

What are your favorite target species for warmwater?  

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I had to vote for 'other' - pike, pickerel, etc., which doesn't take away from my enjoyment of catching anything else.

My Favorite right now is Channel Cats on the fly. Total blast on the long rod. # 2 Would be smallies #3 would be Pike. I guess 2 out 3 of mine would qualify as "other" in your books! hehehehehe

I see by the previous poster that they definitely let anybody in here!!!!

For me Walleye and Pike. I have a friend that is probably one of the top recreational fishermen in the state for Muskies, but he refuses to take me along!!!!!:dunno: I guess I will have to be content with those 2 species.

As I understand it, every time he called you last year, you were either busy or heading to Oscoda. tongue.gif

This survey makes me miss fishing for largemouths in Southern California sad.gif

I guess I'll hit the San Juan this weekend ... yeah that'll make me feel better smile.gif

While pike, musky and carp all sound like an absolute blast to have at the end of a fly-line, I wouldn't know. Some things I've always wanted to try though. I guess for me it would have to be smallies. They've always picked up the slack durring the long, hot, dog-days of late summer when the trout don't really want to play.

Al

Smallmouth are definately #1 on the list but I agree with jbrowning on page 1 and will gladly catch anything that eats my fly. smile.gif This year I am hoping to make a concentrated effort on carp. There is a large mud flat adjacent to the inlet of my hometown's mill pond, when I've been out for other species I've seen carp tailing and rolling in there that have to go 30-36 inches. I have heard they are REALLY spooky though so it should be fun.

At the risk of offending sensibilities, carp can be very leery and sometimes it can be almost impossible to get them to hit a fly. Often a little spray on scent like the bass guys use, or a dab of Powerbait carp goo on the hook will get you a lot more hits.

Don't worry, this is a different group of fly tiers here. Besides, I already offended everybody with my idea to soak some flies with... ah, nevermind. The results aren't in yet!

This really is a tough question. I've sat here for the last 15 mins. trying to figure out which is my favorite and I cant do it. I enjoy all equally. The leaping acrobatics of the "Bucketmouth", the water boiling thrash of "ol' Bronzeback", the never ending spin of a big Bull 'gill, and the mind bending run of big Mr. Whiskers. I cant choose.

Hey dadsgnat, I too live here in the Ozarks. Branson, MO. I have fished Bull Shoals most of my life. Taneycomo has dominated my fishing time these past few years, but I plan to hit Swan Creek and Bull Creek and Beaver this year alot. The Buffalo in AR. is a good float too.

This is my 2nd or 3rd post here and I really feel at home with you folks. Thanks for a great web site.

BadKarma

I like anything that bites too, but I just love to catch pike and go carp fishing when it gets really slow around my area. Smallies are always fun, but hard to find.

For Warmwater Species this was a tough choice.

Even though I catch Bluegills, Crappies, Bass and Catfish on the fly. I would have to say that my Target Fish would have to be the Walleye. Even though I have never caught one on the fly, I can still see me doing it. I know my 7 wgt Rod can handle it. It is just getting out there to do it. Hopefully this year. wink.gif

i have landed a few smaller wallies on the fly before, 'Coat....nice fight....just remember not to try to lip one!!! Was smallie fishing the first time I got one and just wasn't thinking...my attention quickly changed direction when i saw my thumb headed towards those spiky teeth!!! wink.gif

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Feb 20 2004, 03:13 PM)
i have landed a few smaller wallies on the fly before, 'Coat....nice fight....just remember not to try to lip one!!! Was smallie fishing the first time I got one and just wasn't thinking...my attention quickly changed direction when i saw my thumb headed towards those spiky teeth!!! wink.gif

Thanks for the reminder Big Daddy Hubbar, wink.gif

I am already well aware of them teeth. huh.gif I have caught several Walleye but never on the Fly. That is one of my goals this year. I am thinking that a Woolly Bugger should work good on them.

I do remember watching a TV Program with Babe Winkelman (sp?) lipping a Walleye and all I could do was Laugh at him. He should of known better. lol.gif