Fly Tying

Favorite Warmwater species

What are your favorite target species for warmwater?  

431 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

had a buddy who had 4 sutures in his thumb because his neurons stopping firing just about the time he wanted a picture of his catch taken.....took him a while to live that one down!!!

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Feb 20 2004, 03:25 PM)
.....took him a while to live that one down!!!

Has he yet? lol.gif Must have been one of those "Dahhh" moments. wink.gif

QUOTE (Big Daddy Hubbard @ Feb 20 2004, 03:34 PM)
oooohhhh yyyeeeaaa! We still laugh at him and it happened years ago...he fishes sober, now!!

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Without a doubt, my favorite warm water species is CARP!!! Carp on the fly is incredible. If you haven't tried it, you're missing out. When I go fishing on the Grand here in Michigan, Carp are it!!! Smallies are just a secondary bonus fish. Silent stalking these extremely wary, spooky fish and then tricking them into taking a fly is unmatched in any other fishing I've done. It's sport in the truest sense of the word.

Try it, you'll like it.

Brinx

Hey, Bad Karma, if you get down this way, don't forget to ply your wiles on Crooked Creek. This is a heck of a Smallmouth stream. Bring your Crawdad arsenel and, around dusk, something black and big that floats that's noisy. Strip it at the head of shoals and hang on. During the day, in the deep, chartruese is the day in, day out winner. Something like a large Woolly Bugger with legs, maybe some sparkle. If the water is colored, go dark. Root Beer, black. These smallies go more for buggy things than things with eyes. At dusk, however, your offerings need to float.

As shoals empty into pools, yellow poppers can pull up smallies during the day.

Don't forget to toss your crawdad imitations about three feet ahead of submerged rocks and let it drift by ... rock bass. tongue.gif

Will do.

Right now the Whites are staging for the run upstream to spawn. So my attention is a little distracted. Got a bunch of Decievers and Clousers tied and waiting to see what they like most. dunno.gif

Seen quite a few BIG drum going up. Acouple that would push 12-15 lbs. (wonder if I could get them to hit) devil.gif Maybe not a good idea with a 4-5 wt rod. bugeyes.gif

I really enjoy chasing crappie with a flyrod. After landing a master angler crappie 2 years ago I look forward to every april and may to chase them. Haven't got one on the fly yet this year though. hope to change that soon. I haven't really chased anything but bass and panfish with a fly rod so I don't know about all the other species.

Gee thats a pretty tough question about two this afertnoon my answer would have been crappies as I was throwing a small maribou clouser on the edge of some weed beds and had caught a dozen nice slaps 10-13 inches I was standing in an old sports pal canoe the one with lines similer to a bath tub I decided to flip the fly backwards into a small path of weeds a couple seconds later something smashed the fly and acaully started pulling the canoe backwards I fought the fish over my shoulder until the bow of the conoe came about and he was in front of me I knelled down as soon as I could an fought him for quite a while finnally got him in a 36 inch pike no scale with me but I would guess he would go 9 or 10 pounds. So I will have to change my favorite to pike but tommorow.... thats anyones guess.

For me, Smallmouth Bass!! Wading waist deep in the warm gin clear water, bass rising all over the place, another evening on the Susquahanna, with a olive wooly bugger, or a popper. It doesn't get any better than that!!

But all this talk of those huge carp that will hit a small wet fly. In the summer I see them all over the place. This year I'll target some carp with my 5 wt. So watch out carp.

WoolyBugger

Has to be the Largemouth Bass. wink.gif I used to be a diehard rodnreel angler for largemouth with the 100 dollar baitcasting outfits and lures of all kinds and the big 40 dollar tackle bags and all that but then I caught my first fish on the fly..........and there that went right out the window LOL! biggrin.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif Even though Im more into fly fishing than I have ever been I still love to catch bass whether it be on the fly or on the lure. Just my opinion ttyl and tight lines.-Tim smile.gif

when you catch them on your own creation ALL OF THEM. No better than blue gill or shellcracker for a fight.

Ah. can't beat a good fight with a bass. Smallmouths #1 and then Largemouths #2.

Hats off to the panfish though.

heck of a fight for such a small fish.

Fish hard!

:yahoo: