Fly Tying

While in the middle of three swaps, I was suddenly overcome with the idea that this would be a good time to reorganize my tying desk.  This has led to the discovery of materials that apparently I have ordered more than once or twice.  If you encounter this condition, I suggest you walk away from the desk and call a fishing friend to talk you down.

DSCN0523.JPG.e3bbaed29d769fc452d386259c7f73d4.JPG

I’ve been afflicted by this condition, chalked it up old timers disease! I now enjoy the surprises I find in my stash, kinda like Christmas!

Mike.

Those aren't too bad.  

I don't feel the need to tidy up until there's no more desktop available.  

12 hours ago, partsman said:

I’ve been afflicted by this condition, chalked it up old timers disease! I now enjoy the surprises I find in my stash, kinda like Christmas!

Mike.

I have a related disease - CRS!

37 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

I have a related disease - CRS!

I call it "turnsta". When your mind "turnsta..."

Glad to know I'm not the only one with this sickness.  My table is a mess, even compared to the ones here.

Got a fly charter coming up and will need a half dozen of three or four different patterns… First though,  it will take 30 minutes or more to clear off the various good materials as well as all the junk - on my tying desk…

Yeah, but remember, you mix the junk with a beverage or two and you might just come up with a pattern that'll catch fish 5 out of every 4 casts!  (Sorry, I've been tying with some junk!🥴😉

Kim

I have this idea to deal with the over excess amount of tying stuff everyone seems to have cluttering up their bench or tying room. 

Do any of you think this could work? I think it could be fun. 
Start a “traveling box” swap. 
1)Create a list of participants

2) Then Someone starts a box with tying stuff from their “over excess pile” of stuff and sends to first person on the list.  

3)That person takes what he/she wants or needs THEN ADDS to the box an approximate  amount of stuff, then sends on to the next person.

4) eventually the box gets back to the original creator of the box.

5) end the box or start over

Yes I see that this could become problematic, but I would be willing to give it a shot, I would be willing to start the box  as I have double or triples of stuff someone might have a need for that I will never use.

Yea or Nay?

TT 

1 hour ago, Trouttramp said:

Yea or Nay?

TT 

nay

we have done this type of swap in the past and all you get is garbage materials that someone didnt want but expect better materials to go in the box

when i received the box i wouldnt take anything out but put better materials in and sent it on its way

NAY.  One BIG problem, besides the quality question is - once anyone puts anything in the swap envelope over a 1/4" high the postage will jump $4 or so.

Kim

I DO appreciate the thinking, just not the logistics - and DO NOT stop thinking!  I have taken training in creative thinking and you basically come up with as many ideas as you can (no matter how crazy) then you rethink your list subtracting, adding to, and combining ideas and MOST times I've led groups in this area you find the final choice has some germ of the CRAZIEST ideas first put forth!

One other small point about material swaps... Hardly any freshwater tyer would ever even look at most of the materials I find essential as a saltwater guy (and years ago trying to explain my needs to this or that supplier -when everything they had was meant for freshwater... a bit frustrating...  Nowadays there's lots of great materials for someone with my affliction - but that wasn't the case years ago at all..

2 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

One other small point about material swaps... Hardly any freshwater tyer would ever even look at most of the materials I find essential as a saltwater guy (and years ago trying to explain my needs to this or that supplier -when everything they had was meant for freshwater... a bit frustrating...  Nowadays there's lots of great materials for someone with my affliction - but that wasn't the case years ago at all..

Good point sir- 

On 3/13/2023 at 8:20 PM, fishingbobnelson said:

This has led to the discovery of materials that apparently I have ordered more than once or twice. 

I'm a very organized person by nature.  My tying desk is kept neat and clear with everything in its place.  My materials are well organized. And yet I STILL come home with duplicated  materials.  I noticed yesterday that I have 3 brown hen necks, they're not identical, one is almost brown and the other two are sort of brown and kind of brown.    

Now I put notes in my phone that say things like "don't buy any more damn brown hen necks" or "Cleveland will win the Super Bowl before you run out of natural turkey tail".  A must read in the fly shop parking lot as my memory clearly can't be trusted.