Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cphubert

Anyone ever add propane supply to a small 4 stroke outboard?

I am thinking of adding a propane supply to my 6 hp 4 stroke outboard via the crankcase vent. Are there any down sides or long term problems using propane for fuel? should be better performing than ethanol E10 87 octane and much cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with a DIY propane supply? is it worth the effort. Looking for thoughts and experience discussion. My consideration is due largely to loss of supply from ethanol free pump gas.

Ran across this.   Looks like you could drill and thread a LPG injector tube into the carb and be able to go either way???

https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/yamaha-outboard-conversion-to-lpg.43208/

Unless you’re leaving the ethanol gas in for long periods I’d just pour the Stabil to it.   I don’t worry when I’m going thru tankfulls frequently.  I got an inline water separator on my bay boat.  Moisture can get in any gas in a marine deal.   Good luck!

Every year I fill my gas tank up to the tippy top with 40 gallons of ethanol gas as part of winterizing the boat. I treat it with stabil or sea foam then it sits stowed away in the side yard for four months until April rolls around. It’s never not fired right up. I don’t put more gas in until I use up the 40 gallons I put in in late November. 

can’t help you with the propane conversion but I can’t help but think that you will cause yourself more headaches then running ethanol gas which simply needs to be treated with an ethanol fuel stabilizer. However, if you just like to tinker and don’t care if you potentially screw up the 6 HP it sounds like a great project. Good luck to you. 

Propane is not gasoline, obviously.  It burns differently, with different BTU and power outputs.  Propane requires ignition timing changes, exhaust tuning changes and air/fuel ratio changes.

All that said, it is possible to convert a gasoline engine to propane, but it's more than just pumping propane in.

Good luck, if you decide to go that route.