Fly Tying
DFoster

Quotes and words of wisdom-

From the Orvis pod cast from 3/6/23, the guest was author Tom McGuane.  Tom Rosenbauer was talking with him about their love for Tarpon and Snook fishing when he asked “Then why are we so obsessed with trout?”  McGuane responded “Trout are more like a sporting partner; they deal you a different hand of cards every time you go out.” 

That made me think about just how often the house wins-

Any favorite quotes, fishing or otherwise out there?

Cormac McCarthy in "The Road"

'Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.'

IMG-20201021-134120.jpg

Probably my favorite quote of all time is by Alan Watts...

"Better to have a short life, full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way"

My favorite from Albert Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."

"My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." 

--Norman Maclean

A River Runs Through It

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable; a perpetual series of occasions for hope." 

--John Buchan

from a wife:

"Give a man a fish, and he'll have food for a day.  Teach a man to fish, and you can get rid of him for a whole day."

> Zenna Schaffer

It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with the human problem all one's life and find at the end that one has no more to offer by way of advice than 'try to be a little kinder.'

Aldous Huxley

My religion is very simple.  My religion is kindness.

Dalai Lama XIV

That which is hateful to you, do not do unto your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.

Hillel the Elder