Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Just joined.

Hello!

I retired in January after 45 years working in IT.  Now I can begin doing what I want to do!

I started fishing 65 years ago (I was 3 years old) while my Dad held me on his hip and he walked the gravel bottomed creek running through the old family homestead in central Missouri.  I have been fishing ever since.  Now I live in south-central Iowa on a few acres.  I have a 1/2 acre pond and a Jon boat.  There are quite a few ponds and lakes within a 30 minute drive.  On those I'll be bank fishing.

I picked up a fly rod and some other equipment when I was about 16 years old.  Several years ago I got a fly tying kit from Cabela's and tied a few flies.  I have since bought a newer/better rod.  Now it's time to get back into it.

I need a better vise and some other items so I came here for advice.  I also want to improve my tying skills.

Anyway, that's enough about me so ask me questions if you want to know more.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

Welcome to the site and retirement. Minneapolis resident here. There are many brilliant tiers here (not me) and you will not find a more supportive site for your questions. If you have any questions, there are people here to answer them. We encourage all to post their flies. 
Tom

Welcome from Connecticut and to the retired side. Lots of good people here, have fun with your tying and fishing we all learn from one another.

Chris

Welcome aboard!

I'm a warm water fisher as well.

I think you will find a lot of helpful people here.

Welcome to the site and your well-deserved time off.    

The sky's the limit on vise prices nowadays, and you can do pretty much everything on any of them whatever they cost.  I'm partial to my Renzetti Traveler.  

Thanks for all of the 'welcomes'!!!

After reading several posts on this site I'm going to need to get used to others with my warped sense of humor.  (I crack myself up quite often.)  I'm going to like it here! 👍

Welcome! I grew up in Central Missouri myself, and while I didn't really start fishing until just before I left (for Michigan), I naturally have a soft spot for the place. :) You'll find lots and lots of knowledge and great generosity to share it here. 

Welcome to the site from another retiree AND panfish lover! You'll find it loaded with many fine and experienced fishers, tyers, rod builders, and just all-around helpful folk.  I'm born and bred central NYer.  I've been tying for over 50 years now and hosting fly swaps for the past dozen years.  I look forward to seeing your posts and crossing paths with you here.

Kim

BTW, I love hosting swaps - it keeps my picture off the post office walls!