Fly Tying
Handyman_Andyman

What should I add or change to make these dry flys even more effective

Size 10&12 dry flys pheasant as the tail and brown acrylic yarn dubbing as the body. Poly yarn as the wings. And brown saddle hackle and green acrylic yarn dubbing as the head.

C73602E3-1273-4A08-86B0-A8A13A447FE8.jpeg

44ACA111-1424-4BE4-8726-ADCEDFDDCD2F.jpeg

20B27BB7-942A-4589-874A-DE8E06ADAF98.jpeg

6E8AC795-C965-4A2E-8E8F-E153CFC5BFCB.jpeg

6180DDC2-ADFF-42F3-BC42-75A94096B2E2.jpeg

It depends on what are you trying to imitate and what problem are you trying to solve.

Pheasant tail doesn't offer much support or aid in floating a dry fly. Once it gets wet, it will likely cause the fly to ride low in the rear with the tail under water. That may be good if the fly is imitating an emerger. If that is the case you could trim the hackle on the bottom to make the fly ride even lower. If that is not what you are after, you could substitute stiffer material for the tail, such as dry fly hackle fibers or Deer, Elk or Moose hair.

In any case I would fish it as is and also try some variations to see what works.

2 hours ago, Handyman_Andyman said:

Size 10&12 dry flys pheasant as the tail and brown acrylic yarn dubbing as the body. Poly yarn as the wings. And brown saddle hackle and green acrylic yarn dubbing as the head.

You asked: "What should I add or change to make these dry flys even more effective"

Before one can answer your question, you need to tell us what species of fish are you targeting and what kind of water are you going to fish?

39 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

You asked: "What should I add or change to make these dry flys even more effective"

Before one can answer your question, you need to tell us what species of fish are you targeting and what kind of water are you going to fish?

Let’s say trout on a small lake

Stiffer tailing material, your hackle seems a bit small. I'd cut that wing shorter also. That said, I think you did a pretty good job for starters. Keep it up. It's like getting to Carnegie Hall.

4 hours ago, Handyman_Andyman said:

Let’s say trout on a small lake

I would say that the flies are rather large for dry flies on a small lake.

Have you seen trout eating off the surface. How large are the naturals that they are taking? Have you seen trout taking grasshoppers or other food that large off the surface?

Assuming you want a high and dry fly from your question.  

I agree with what's been said above. 

A stiffer tailing material will help.  The bottom hackle is compressed in your photos by the vise and foam, but it does seem a bit short.  The head's a bit big (thick and long), but the wing should compensate for that and keep it balanced. 

Nevertheless, its well tied IMO. You've done a great job with with the hackle, nice and tightly wound.  Spreading the hackle out forward a  bit more, and reducing the length of the head,  may be beneficial.  The tail is perfectly centered on top of the hook shank.

I'm no expert, and never tie a perfect fly, but I'd be please with that one if it fell off my vise.

I agree, FISH THEM!  If the fish vote them in then our 2 cents aren't even worth that much.  Remember, you are trying to catch fish, not fishers.  As far a an early fly that you've tied, it looks like you've got a very nice future, keep on tying and posting as some of us are too old to remember our first attempts (thank god!🙄) but we do like to see someone develop.

Kim