Fly Tying

hey group,

Can somebody give me an idea of what to use for antenna?

Materials and preparation would help.

thanks,

tidbit

On small flies I use fibers from pheasant tail feather, on larger flies I use horse hair, mono or Porcupine guard hair.

Ulf

Hey Tidbit, I use all of the suggestions above, and badger is most likely legal in the US, it's sold at my local fly shop. Moose is also a good, strong, thin, tapered hair. For the antenna on my latest adult Caddis, I used orange dyed grizzly hackle, stripped, tyed on, then using my bodkin, rub along the fiber to make a curved bend. Once the fiber is tyed on, hold the tip tight and rub a couple times tightly underneath to make a downwards bend, or on top for antenna's pointing up, or left and right.

BTW... it's nice to hear from you George.

Graham

Here's a couple pics of a paint brush I have been using for antenna. They are strong, will not break, can be bent with heat, nice taper, nice tips, and accept coloring. Seemingly identical to micro-fibetts. I found the brush at my local

ACE hardware store. I've tryed several brushes and like this on best. For thicker antenna I will take two, or more fibers, and dip them in flexament or Softex to create one thicker fiber. I usually to not perfectly allign the tips, allowing for a thicker shaft and a super fine tip.

Graham

user posted image

user posted image