Fly Tying
DarrellP

Favorite panfish fly swap-IN THE MAIL

10 hours ago, vicrider said:

Caught my first trout on a Wooly Worm on a spinning rod with a clear plastic bobber on a stocked pond my Dad took us to as a treat. Have had a love for it ever since even if it has been largely replaced in most boxes by the Bugger. Had to quit after bro and I caught a couple of trout since they weighed them on the way out and charged for them by the pound. Was still fun and a memory that's stuck with me for many years, as has Wooly Worms in my box.

ps...They had a couple of guys wandering the shore keeping an eye out that no fish were released. When you charge by the pound with no admission fee you don't release fish.

During my first year of trout fishing, 1979, I visited a place like that in Lake George, NY.  I thought it was a joke.  I caught more than I could afford in just a few minutes.  I ended up giving the fish away, as I don’t eat fish.

Got my order in so I'll be working on them along with the quill flies over next several days. I'm just not up to long sessions at the vise anymore so I spread the tying out over a few sessions as the mood calls me.

Half way there. Tricky to find the patience and not catch the tail on fire when tapering. Fine line between reshaping and “poof”. 

19312E06-01DD-493A-B814-2DB404F4AFAE.jpeg

I will be out of town the last week of May.  My mail will be held, so your flies will be safe if they come while I am gone.  However, I will not be able to mark them received on this site.

Squeezy, that is a spinoff of several carp fly designs. One of these days I may just intentionally try for carp again. The only time I really fished them was when I was a kid or on a river in Kingsport TN just for fun. Giants in that river that stripped me of line more than once before the leader would break and I'd crank for a half hour to get all the line back.

So here is a pair of panfish flies for the box. The White Miller was a 'gill killer in a farm pond in IL that used to produce regular 1 pound and up fish just wading and throwing the White Miller on a floating line. The catepillar is a spinoff of some swimming nymph hooks I had and a favorite fly called the Crackleback.

DSCF7505.JPG

DSCF7512.JPG

DSCF7510.JPG