Fly Tying
DFoster

Record Largemouth-

Livescope is cool in the fact that we can develop the technology, but I have no interest in using it for fishing, personally. Finding good spots through time and effort makes each fish feel more exciting and satisfying, especially when one catches you buy surprise. 

So long as it's legal, to each their own, but livescope seems to cross the line for me for whatever reason. Maybe I'm just getting older, but makes me think "what happened to just being a good fisherman?"

11 hours ago, DFoster said:

my Kayak I never use a fish finder

Dean I use one with a GPS chart more in case of fog than fish finding. A few years ago, two kayakers were lost of Monomoy while I was up in the area. I have seen it come in fast, easy to get unsettled with tide and wind changes.

I certainly have no issue with technology especially when it comes to improving safety.  I use the various web-based mapping services to locate new rivers and use GPS to get there.  I’m primarily a wade fisherman on small rivers so tech really isn’t needed to locate fish.  For those fishing the big water from a boat it’s a necessity but where is the line between useful aid and unsporting advantage?  I wonder would an angler on a stream in 1912 have considered polarized sunglasses,  heated socks or flies with holographic tinsel cheating?  Technology will continue to advance and eventually state fish and wildlife agencies will need to make some decisions about what is allowable.

Capture.JPG.6a1635682ac7a84466bd0168e682dec9.JPG

On 5/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, mikechell said:

It was less than 8 pounds, if I read the story correctly.  Not a world record (total size), just a line class record and personal best for this particular angler.  I'm not taking anything away from her just because they were using electronics.  As knotjoe stated above, electronics and sight fishing have been part of the largemouth fishing world for about half a century.  Livescope is just the latest in that evolution.

It appears you are reading it wrong. The article says, it was 12 pounds and some ounces.

I'm not sure why every one is poo pooing her. She caught a big fish and, apparently she did it legally. If it's it's not your bag, fine, don't do it.

Congratulations to her.

You're correct Mark.  I saw the second sentence ... but I guess I completely missed the first one.

“"She was 12 pounds 3 ounces, the biggest fish ever! Before I went to O.H. Ivie with Dalton, I literally had only caught a 7 pound 8 ounce largemouth.'" 

That's what I get for "scanning" an article.

I know of a Kayak boater who carried a fake fish in his boat.  Whenever he saw a fisherman, he would ask "Catching anything?"  When the fisherman answered, he'd say "Let me check it out."  He then would roll the kayak and come up with the fish in his teeth.  You got to find fun where you can.

There was a musky guide in WI who got tired of people circleing around him to get onshore references to his spots. He'd go to a spot almost guaranteed to wreck a prop unless you knew the area and he'd never caught a fish. He'd use his gaff to haul in this big wet towel trying to hide it from the person picking landmarks behind him. Then he'd carefully pull out and leave that spot to his lurker to bang a prop.

PS...I should edit it this and mention that today people simply drive by your spots and click a waypoint on their GPS and they've got it. His old trick wouldn't work today. Add to that if you're fishing bigger lakes most guys with money have cards with the lake maps built right into their sonar units.