Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Do you consider fly tying a sport?

Craft, art, pastime, hobby, avocation, vocation for some... But sport? no. Fly fishing is a sport. 

Just a personal opinion/observation.  If it doesn't make you sweat or improve your physical stamina, it's not a sport.  Knitting, painting (art), cooking, etc.  All these things can improve your ability to perform certain functions.  But none of them improve your physical conditioning.  Fly tying falls into this category.

Fishing, the way I usually do it, isn't a sport either.  I sit in a boat and cast.  The most exercise I get while fishing this way is using the paddle to scull the boat around.  Fishing during my last three week trip to California, however ... THAT was sport.  Walking the edges of foot hill reservoirs took more physical effort than I've done in several years.  It was fun, but I definitely put stress on my muscles and heart that proved to me they're all working just fine.  Kinda wish I had that kind of fishing here, so I could do that form of exercise every weekend ... while fishing.

Summary:

flytying ... definitely NOT a sport.

Fly fishing ... maybe, depending on how you're doing it.

It can become an obsession…But really fun and great opportunity for creation.  And the genre is huge…From 7/0 salty to a size 18 midge; and all that is inbetween.😛

Fly tying is not a sport in my opinion. Fly fishing, yes definitely a sport. There's a reason fisherman & hunters are called "sportsman", why for decades there are outdoor magazines called "Sports Afield" ..."The Sporting Life"... "Michigan Sportsman" ...."The Shooting Sports"(I could go on and on). There's a difference between Competitive/team sports, and outdoor sports for recreation like fishing/hunting etc, but fishing & hunting have always been considered a sport by most for as long as I can remember.

Just to muddy the water. There was a one fly competition and a fly casting competition that I saw on Tv a few years ago.

Not sure if they are still around.

Rick 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:49 AM, RickZieger said:

Just to muddy the water. There was a one fly competition and a fly casting competition that I saw on Tv a few years ago.

Not sure if they are still around.

Rick 

There was the Ford Fly Fishing Games Competition that was on TV in the USA. Part of it was a casting competition.

The One Fly competition I know about is the Jackson Hole One Fly Competition. I think it is the original "one fly" event. BUT there is no casting competition.

https://www.storyartsmedia.com/writings-how-i-won-the-one

Was this what you saw on TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eM29wnH3Bo

Scott Sanchez's double bunny streamer won the Jackson Hole One Fly Competition three years in a row (1992, 1993, 1994) and was banned from the event.

dbfly.jpg.3740f6203888229d780c0a144fa6c838.jpg

https://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/112105fotw.php

On 5/13/2023 at 5:01 AM, Steeldrifter said:

Fly tying is not a sport in my opinion. Fly fishing, yes definitely a sport. There's a reason fisherman & hunters are called "sportsman", why for decades there are outdoor magazines called "Sports Afield" ..."The Sporting Life"... "Michigan Sportsman" ...."The Shooting Sports"(I could go on and on). There's a difference between Competitive/team sports, and outdoor sports for recreation like fishing/hunting etc, but fishing & hunting have always been considered a sport by most for as long as I can remember.

This