Fly Tying

More wigglers

On 5/18/2023 at 1:36 PM, denduke said:

Can’t remember what craft store I gottem from.   I take the Puffy black paint dabbed for the black center and when I glue them on I coat them with SallyHansens to keep them tough.   When you coat them the lil facets disappear.  I use the puffy stuff to make paint drop eyes too. The eye drawer…

Haven’t gotten around to trying your foam wigglers….

E44777CF-ACBD-4A94-B3A5-3609683AF466.jpeg
Here you go CT aren’t you a Kayaker?  Shrimp season right around the corner😂

202BE087-4114-401C-AD02-61CFA3EC07C6.jpeg

D9576EE1-8577-4DB3-8C8A-87E700162B7C.jpeg

Denduke, Nice picture of the trawler hope their headed for the Golden Meadow Blessing!

1/8" or 3/16 tungsten bead up front makes them a bit heavy, but still easy enough to cast, perhaps with an 8wt rod and a 2x tippet.  I fish them across and down wading, or troll them downstream from a moving driftboat.

ztk_2022-09-24-02.20.06_DMap_Bone-crushers.jpg

On 6/2/2023 at 6:52 PM, denduke said:

Looks complicated and fragile; whatever works…

The Salmobytes wigglers?  They are a not fragile.  Tying them does take some learning.  They are powerful.  Fish respond to diving wigglers in ways that make your eyebrows move higher.

:=))

They are in fact, major big fish mojo. Dave Whitlock once referred to home made diving wigglers as "impossibly difficult to tune" (in Trout Magazine)--which among other things suggests he at least tried.

But they are not so hard to tune, once you figure it out..  A little buoyancy at the top rear end opposing a little weight (below the bill) at the lower front end keeps them from spinning in a circle. So they wobble back and forth while diving.  Phew. The are absolutely deadly on Spring Creeks, at dawn and at dusk.

Boney-maroney.jpg