Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Getting back on track

FpxeUmC.jpg

My hard work is finally starting to pay off. Dropped 20 lbs in the past 30 days. Trying to get back in shape because now that I'm 51yrs old I want to take care of my health a bit better. But also with my long trip next month I do a lot of physical activities like hiking distances to fishing spots and such, so I want to be in better shape for the trip so I don't get so sore/tired. My goal is to lose another 30 lbs on top of the 20 I have already lost, but I'm pretty satisfied with the weight lose progress so far. Hard to believe at one point in my life I actually weight 402lbs. I'm currently 251lbs now.

All I know is years ago losing weight could be a struggle but doable. Nowadays I need to lose if I want to get a few years of decent living out of this trip through life but it get progressively harder to lose and easier to gain. Happy you've made this change in your life and able to enjoy things to a much greater extent than you did at 400#. I'm at 330, was 360, and just can't seem to move off that. At 79 excercise and activity seems limited to tying flies and watching the tube and since I blew out my femur just before the Covid lockdown I've had little ambition to do the things I really love, fishing, hunting, camping, it's just easier to do nothing and wait for something to happen. Ya' know what? You need to make things happen, they just don't come to you if you sit in a recliner and wait for them. 

It definitely gets harder as we age Nick that is for sure. Now at 51 yrs old I have to cut quite a bit on the calories, and even the calories I do take in now have to be "good" calories to lose weight. To drop weight this time I'm down to 1000-1100 calories per day and mostly all sweet potatoes, orange slices, baked talapia, bananas, grapes, and stuff like that. And I'm biking about 20 miles per week as well. Didn't have to work quite this hard to lose weight when I was in my younger years that's for sure.

Way to keep at it. What you eat is 90% of the weight loss challenge. Now in my early 60’s I find staying off the couch is the ticket. That and a change of diet and a touch of exercise. I cut way down on the pizza (once a week) and I stopped eating hoagies and pretty much all lunch meat. I have yogurt and fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch and whatever I want for dinner. Fortunately I’m too lazy to want to cook breakfast and I really like salads so no big deal. I walk every night after dinner and log in anywhere from 4 to 7 miles  a night dependent on weather and the need to use a bathroom. Sometimes I replace my walk with a couple hours of panfishing with the fly rod. I also got a Peloton which I wasn’t sure I would like. Turns out I love it and start every morning off with a 20 to 30 minute ride followed by a 5 minute cool down ride and 5 minutes of stretching. It’s worth every penny. 

good luck to your continued success. 

Still working hard on it and making progress, but slower than it use to be. In the 10 days since posting this I have only lost 3 1/2 lbs more. I guess that's actually pretty good when I stop and think about it, but when you are extremely strict with your eating, and doing so much exercise, you want to lose at a faster rate which is probably expecting too much. Down to 247.5 lbs now, so have about 25-30lbs more to go to hit my goal.

20 lbs. in 30 days is pretty impressive to me! 20 is about the most I've ever lost in one stretch since I became overweight in my late 20s, and I know it took me longer than a month. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with health and weight loss on here, as it's something I need to get cracking with (see my post in The Lodge from a few minutes ago) and hearing of others' struggles and success is very helpful. 

Congrats, and best of luck to you for continued success!

Hit a goal of 25lbs lost now today. Down to 244lbs. Should be just over the halfway mark of what I want to lose. I think at my height 6'4" I look best at about 220lbs. Would like to drop another 5lbs in the next week though since I leave for my long 3 week fishing trip next Sunday, and I know I will have a few good snacks/meals on that trip. So would be nice to have a 5lb "cushion" for that trip 😁😏