Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oneslammedpanel

dubbing opinion...

hi all..

I was just curious on your opinions on real versus synthetic dubbing..

I am finding for me useing the synth is better on my nymphs versus say rabbit or squrrel(sp) then the natural is better on my dry flies that require dubbing?..anyone else find this as well or is my lack of knowledge/skill getting the better of me...I also have a hard time spinning it evenly when i use natural..?

Thanks

Try using less dubbing, I do find that the synthetics such as superfine dub alot better. They are made for that purpose. Furs are not. Try pulling your natural dubbing between your fingers, like shuffling cards to mix it . This will blend the fur and help get a smaller finner clump of dubbing. There is a trick to it all and less is best, it makes a more durable even fly.

Generally most synthetics are easier to dub (not all, but most). However, there's no reason why you can't get similar results from natural dubbings--in fact when I deal with some coarse synthetics I will often add a bit of rabbit underfur to make it easier to dub. Perhaps as Joe Hard suggests, you're using a bit too much dubbing? Or perhaps the ratio of guard hair to underfur in your natural dubbing is a bit too high?

There's lots of little tricks to get your dubbing to behave: In addition to using less dubbing you could try a little low tack dubbing wax, picking out some or all of the guard hairs, or even just moistening you fingers a little before giving it a whirl. Don't give up on natural dubbings for your nymphs--nothing beats the shaggy look of squirrel dubbing for a nymph's thorax.

Good luck and good tying.

Aaron

For my natural furs I run all of them through a coffee grinder first to break them up before sticking them to the thread, I use alot of synthetic dubbings on wets and nymphs, I recently bought superfines dry flie stuff and am quit impressed, it goes on easy lays down nice and smooth and does not require me to do my own dye job. I do like natural fur for things like the adams that calls for muskrat fur though, must be that traditionalist thing in me. Any way just my two cents.

thanks for all the replies, Joe i think you might be right on Que.I do tend to make "fat" nymphs suggesting i over dub.I have been using squirrel and rabbit for along time until recently i made a trip out to marriot's in california and bought some of those "10" compartment dubbing dispensers, well one of them is a "crawdub synth mix and i love it, maybe i just need to practice with the furs, do you spin furs on single thread or use a dubbing spinner?

O.K... guys....after reading these replies, i felt i needed to "relearn" my dubbing skills...Joe..you are 100% I got two size 16 mustad wet nymph hooks out..cut a "SMALL" amount of biege rabbit belly and LIGHTLY spun some onto my waxed thread(after seperateing dubbing and thining it out) it layed onto my thread perfect, i spun it VERY thin..i just tied the nicest nymph "I" have ever tied with natural fur.., it was cleaner,tighter and far more atractive then my average nypmh!! thanks guys...