Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Soft-shell question

We had a brief conversation with one of the old salts on our river and he mentioned that many of the larger fish are gorging themselves on the soft shells. In a normal year (with normal precipitation) we would do quite well throwing crawdad imitations, but not this year. The water is much clearer and warmer and our offerings only get a brief look, no takers

Does anyone have a picture of a soft shell? I'm more concerned about the coloration.

Ralf as you know I use them alot, but I dont know if I have a actually pic of one up close or not, I'll have to check.

Far as the color though, right before the shell splits and they shed it (about 12hrs before) it turns vary dark looking (almost a blackish green) from the shell lossening and air gaps starting to get between the shel and the new soft skin. Right after they come out of the shell they can actually be a couple differnt shades of green but on the average they are a light green/olive color with almost a pinkish tint to the belly/legs and sometime even the pinchers have a pinkish hue to them. The pinkish hue usually lasts about 12-18 hrs and then it starts to fade away.

I'll dig through some pics and see if I have any for you. I know I dont have any from this year but may from some past years.

Thanks Steve

I used to fish with them myself. I just hard to match a dubbing without either a live sample or a picture of one. I googled it and came up dry.

From what I remember they are an opaque (sp) shade of green and get darker as the shell hardens dunno.gif

QUOTE (Shoe @ Aug 4 2005, 11:04 AM)
From what I remember they are an opaque (sp) shade of green and get darker as the shell hardens dunno.gif

Not opaque, translucent. A great natural material is the soft pinkish-brown fur from the flanks of a red fox. That is why the Foxee Red Clouser is my "go to" soft craw imitation for this time of the year. Right now I'm fishing them in size 8 and 10.

Joe C.

Thanks Joe

I have one of those hanging in my basement smile.gif

You wouldn't happen to have a link/pattern to that clouser?

they tend to show a different color in the softshell phase depending on what species and even river they are living in.

case in point: cumberland river softshell crawfish look like this:

user posted image

and yes, I have seen some greenish ones, and orangeish ones...

In my waters they are more of a flesh tone. Kind of a light ginger/tan....even so pale as to be nearly white. I used to catch crawdads when I was younger, and even though it's been some time the smallies are slamming a ginger wooley bugger right now. This time of year; every year, they are after that ginger wooly bugger. I would have to believe that they can be any lighter shade of color that is the predominanat color of the crayfish in your area.