Fly Tying
glm38

vise dilemma

Hi I'm new to the board and have happily spent the last few days looking around. I've already picked up a lot of great info. yahoo.gif

I've been shopping for a new vise for the last couple of months and am really having a tough time deciding. Currently I have a 20+ year old Thompson that has served me well. But it has always had an annoying tendency for hook slippage no matter how it is adjusted. Also have a Griffin 2A which holds hooks great but I don't really like the aesthetics of it (the neoprene washer and plastic screws).

I more or less have it narrowed down to an HMH Spartan or Silhouette, Dyna King Kingfisher or squire or the Peak vise. Have a budget of around $150. I tie mostly trout flies size 10 to 22. I have never tried a rotary vise - not sure if that would be worthwhile for me or not. I know there have been other posts on this subject but I would appreciate any opinions on these particular vises. I have not seen any opinions out there on the HMH Silhouette or DK squire and Kingfisher at all.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Welcome!

I've had a Renzetti for about 20 years and it is terrific (it should be for the price). I purchased a HMH Spartan about 3 months ago because I had trouble having room to work at the tail end of smaller flies on the Renzetti. The HMH has solved that problem completely by the way you can adjust the vise angle and by using the midge jaws. It is not a true rotary like the Renzetti, but if you don't need that function I think it is as good a vise for the money as you can find. I also haven't had a hook slip yet on it.

Joe

I have an HMH that I use as a travel vise and for small trout flies. It is an exceptional tool and I don't think you can do any better.

HMH Spartan all the way!!!! I spent alot of time looking and reading and talking......................Dyna King was second choice. I thought the HMH looked better built around the cam lever.

renzetti here for the last 14 yrs and I love it. I've heard many good things about the spartan as well though. Try them all and see what feels "right" for your tying style.

SD

BTW welcome to the forum

I purchased an HMH about 6 months ago and have to say it's the best vise I've ever owned. Like stated earlier, it's not a true rotary vise, but it has qualities that more than make up for that. I tie both fresh and saltwater flies. Mine came with 2 different jaw sizes and that covers all my tying requirements. I'd get the HMH if I were you. Screaming Reels....

- Harris

I love my Renzetti Traveler. I've tied on it almost daily for over 10 years. I did convert to the cam jaws several years ago and enjoy that feature.

I am impressed with the Peak Vise. I have 2 friends that have purchased Peak vises and they are quite nice.

j.stockard has a deal that cant be beat, look into a danvise, you cant even get them on ebay this cheap....id take the extra 90 bucks and send it to me

I'll say it,if you want a great vice with true rotory and can tie just about anything on it,and save yourself alot of bucks...Look into getting yourself the Dan-Vise.You will not be disappointed in it.Same feature and does the same thing as them high dollar vices do.Just my 2-cents.

tt

Thanks for all the comments and info. I think I've decided on an HMH spartan. The simplicity and bombproof design appeals to me. I appreciate the comments about the Danvise but I'm prejudiced towards a metal vise - the plastic just doesn't "feel" right to me. I'm sure it is a great vise. I also considered the renzetti traveler but in trying it - it just did not seem to fit my tying style. I think the peak looks like a great vise but it has only been out a few years. Who knows about its longevity. I'd like this to be the last vise I have to buy and there seem to be loads of 20 and even 30 year old HMH's out there still turning out flies.

thanks again,

Greg

I'm another Danvise fan. I get a lot of comments at shows, like "WOW! That vise must have set you back at least $300!!" I always laugh when I hear that one. THe vice may be "plastic" but it's space age plastic and if you've ever had a chance to get up close and personal with some of the Stealth air craft...it has a very familur feel and look to it. wink.gif It's one tough vise. Hooks will NOT slip out of this babe.

You can either love the look of this vise or you can hate it. I've enjoyed the reaction it gets at tying clubs and show events. My only gripe is the bobbin support arm can be a bit finicky at times. If your into tying big Atlantic Salmon patterns you might want to look into the extended arm, you can purchase seperatly.

As I said before....I'd save the bucks for other toys or materials. A vise only holds a hook. Unless your putting through 20,000 flies a year, production tying....whats the point. Even then....I'd still use the Danvise. I certainly would not cry about it when it finally did wear out. I'd just get anouther one. Ask Al Beatty. He's a pro tier and he uses this vise.

Like I said I'm not knocking the Danvise at all I just don't think it is for me. On the $$ side - if over 20 years you go through 2 or 3 Danvises - have you really saved anything if you can buy one vise to last you 20 years or longer? Just a thought.

Greg

If it's just a matter of needing new jaws for your Thompson you can try the folks at:

Adventure Corporation

P.O. Box 8

Sycamore, Illinois 60178

email: [email protected] (tell them what your looking for and ask for a quote)

I was quite lucky when I wanted to move up from my Thompson that my fly shop let me try out different vices, after all the views I got from the folks here. If you want something like the Thompson I'd recommend the Kingfisher by Dyna-King. Excellent vice $100 or less, I got mine during a winter sale my shop had and got it for $75. I have the regular jaws and while some like the midge jaws (extra about $39) I haven't had any problems with the regular jaws and I've tied down to a 22.

The c-clamp or pedestal is totally your choice but I bought a pedestal off of ebay for it just to have in case I go somewhere the c-clamp won't fit. Even though I have the Kingfisher I still use my Thompson and usually have two flies going at the same time when I need to stock up.