Fly Tying
glm38

vise dilemma

Thanks for the info. But the jaws on my Thompson are not really worn out. It just doesn't hold hooks as securely as I would like. It never has. When I put some significant pressure on even medium size hooks (like when spinning deer hair) the hook moves no matter how it is adjusted. In playing with "better" vises at my fly shop I can easily adjust them to hold any hook rock solid.

I did look at the DK kingfisher and I like it a lot. Looking at both I just think I like the HMH Spartan or Silhouette a little better.

Greg

QUOTE (glm38 @ Aug 8 2005, 10:45 AM)
Like I said I'm not knocking the Danvise at all I just don't think it is for me. On the $$ side - if over 20 years you go through 2 or 3 Danvises - have you really saved anything if you can buy one vise to last you 20 years or longer? Just a thought.
Greg

It's all a matter of the quality of the steel used in the clamp and how many flies you tie as to how long your vise will last. The rest of the vise doesn't really matter much as to how long it will last as there is nothing to wear out. Most people out there tying flies do it for a hobby and a good vise should last them a life time and then get passed on to the Grand kids.

What I'm saying is, a Danvise will NOT wear out any faster than any other higher end vise. I tie about 5000 flies a year...and I don't tie professionally ( I just fish a lot) . I picked up the vise for Christmas and have put through about 3000 flies so far and it still looks and holds like it did the day I opened the box.

I'm not offended that you like and chose another vise. When you said you tried them at YOUR fly shop... I take it you own a fly shop?? Lucky! You get time to play with all the toys.

Lets face it, Vises are like cars...everyone has a favorite and a price priority. Some guys go for the Hummers ( Let me win the Big Lotto and my Hummer will be Hunter Green , to match my canoe, AND a NORVise with ALL the parts) and some guys go with the Sunfire. I have a Montana which I love...except it sucks at off roading. Don't try it. From what I see...it's mostly a "Jones's" thing. In the end it's based on needs and priorities.

My comment was more for those OTHER GUYS who are in the same boat...sitting there with a tired vise, looking for something but maybe thinking twice about the prices. I was seriously looking at a $300 CDN vise. I was just about to plunk it all down when I took a good hard look at the Danvise. It was a very last minute decision to go for it. I figured what the he!!. It was NOT a mistake. This vise, for $70 US bucks, is a steal and if one has never tried a true rotory (try to come after me Ranzetti...) but the price scares them off....this one lets you do it and do it well without blowing a huge wad. One is not going to get any more out of a vise at twice the price. For the guy who has nothing better to spend his money on, more power to him. LUCKY STIFF!! I'm always looking for sponsers! BUT I'm not in that boat and I can think of lots of other things I'd rather be spending my hard earned buck for.

I have to be honost, I like the attention the vise gets when I'm tying at shows. It's NOT elegant but it certianly is COOL!

I don't own a fly shop. Wish I did. How great would that be? I meant my town's fly shop. I'm lucky enough though to be friend's with the guy that owns the shop and he's always kind enough to let me play with all the "toys".

I absolutely agree with you that everyone has different tastes. I'm sure you are right that the Danvise is a great vise at a great price. But still it certainly hasn't stood the test of time (in years) yet. It simply hasn't been out long enough. If I decide on an HMH spartan or silhouette I'm not dropping a wad of $$. I found a Silhouette for $70 and a Spartan for $130 (with a club discount). That's not a lot more than the Danvise. At least not if you are looking at it as a 10 to 20+ year investment. I'm certainly not one of those guys that has tons of $$ to blow.

Greg

I received my HMH spartan today. Tied the first few flies with it as well. What a great tool. It seems to hold everything from 22's to 1/0's with absolutely no slipping. It's very smooth and easy to use as well. I had planned to get the "midge jaws" since I tie a lot of #20 and 22's - but I don't think that will be necessary. Those omni jaws hold the smaller sizes great with good hook access - much better than my old Thompson.

Thanks for those of you who recommended it. Also thanks to everyone who recommended another vise. I had fun looking at them all!

Greg

I've had my DanVise for some 8-10 years, not sure exactly how long, but it's tied more flies than any vise I own, and that's about 6 or 8 or so....I've got some high-end vises that take a backseat to the DanVise in both utility and usability.

I'm sure that the Danvise is a good vise and it has some very militant defenders, but it will never overcome it's inherent "cheese factor", the plastic chassis. I have never tied on one so I can't comment on it's utility. I can only comment on the esthetics of a plastic vise compared with a precision machined vise.

Every Danvise owner I've ever met would drop it in a New York minute if they could afford a high end vise. Which speaks volumes as to it's real value as a tying tool. It is what it is, a servicable, entry level vise for someone on a budget.

TB,

I wouldn't tradew my Danvise in on a Renzetti...the nDanvsie is a more stable platform. The REnsetti to me has a cheesy feel and is not as stable...and yes I've tied on Renzettis, and don't like them much. Be careful generalizations will bite you every time!! But then I'm still in loive with my Thompsom Model A after nearly twenty years as well..., I've tied on DynaKings, and they are nice (don't think you could go wrong buying one), but my requirements are just hold that hook steady!! I've never even seen a Law in person...

Mark Delaney

Ah, the legendary frugal Canadian. If I'm not mistaken, automobiles come equipped with injectors, so I really don't see how your analogy applies. People buy Corvettes for the performance that a minivan could never deliver. I don't own a Corvette, but I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford Windstar.

Just because you don't indulge in either high end cars or vises doesn't mean that other's shouldn't. Perceptions of what constitutes quality and value is certainly relative and I just happen to choose to not own a Danvise. I don't own a LAW or an Abel either but that has never stopped me from criticizing them. The cost of my two vises combined don't equal the cost of an Abel or a LAW. In comparison my vises are certainly more conservative than they could have been.

I don't pamper my vises, although the Nor-Vise is getting a little tanished, but I prefer to think of it as a patina which sounds nicer. I don't have small children running around but I doubt I would worry about a child harming either vise, they're steel remember?

Sorry, but I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't trade your Danvise for a LAW if you had the chance.

Wow! I didn't meant to start all that!

Maybe we can all agree that both the Danvise and the various quality metal vises are equally great in their own way. I was ignorant of the fact that the Danvise has been out so long and has performed well for a number of years. Some don't care for the delrin construction of the danvise and others do but that does not make the vise "cheap" in any way. On the flip side as good as the danvise appears to be I have difficulty believing that it would outlast a good quality metal vise (like an HMH, dyna king, etc) as someone suggested. It may last as long - but outlast it? I don't think so. I guess only time will tell regarding that one.

Greg

TB,

I'd probably trade my Danvise for a Law (geez I could resell it and buy a bunch of other vises..), but as I said preferences are best determined by tying on the vise in person. As for the "cheese" factor of plastic, Delrin is tough stuff, nearlyn indestructible unless you keep your vise in the fireplace...I will admit that a Danvise isn't pretty, but I'm a function over beauty guy. I'm a big guy and I don't think I could break the Danvise. I HAVE broken the jaws on my Thompson (not a chip either, broke the jaws near the back of the slot near the collet, trying to put too big a hook in standard jaws. Thompson replaced the jaws, no question, but I also bought the larger saltwater jaws at that time). When I tie on a Renzetti Traveler, I feel like I could snap the thing...

I still tie a lot on my Thompson (especially very large saltwater flies), but I'm tying more and more often on the Danvise. I just found a box from a material swap, and it's got some 6/0 long shank SS hooks...have no idea what to use them for, but they are too big for the Danvise so the Thompson will get used for those, if I ever decide what to do with them...

Mark Delaney